Archive: July 2010
- Bocce, a game with roots that go back to ancient times, has taken its place alongside horseshoe pits and shuffleboard courts to become a favorite recreational pastime at active adult communities throughout America. In addition to being fun to play, the benefits of bocce ball include healthy social interaction, light activity, strategic planning, and friendly competition.
- Baby Boomers receive a lot of attention from sociologists, marketing executives, and the media. There are many traits and behaviors that are commonly associated with Baby Boomers. However, as trends emerge through generational research, the Baby Boomer image presented is often very different from the commonly perceived stereotype.
- As the third largest city in Texas and the ninth largest in the United States, Dallas offers plenty for active adults to do. There are cultural attractions for lovers of the arts, national league teams for sports fans to support, and nearly everything in between. Today, the state of Texas ranks as the number two retirement destination in the country behind Florida.
- When decorating their new homes, some active adults have begun turning to feng shui as a way to promote a healthy, low-maintenance living environment. This can be a complicated process involving bagua maps, balanced elements, and hanging crystals to promote the flow of vital energy (chi). But it doesn’t have to be quite so involved. There are many simple elements of the feng shui philosophy that can be easily applied to any living space.
- Many active adults dream of retiring to the beautiful, dry climate of the high desert. As a result, there are many luxurious active adult communities found throughout the American Southwest. These posh communities feature spectacular golf courses, resort-style outdoor swimming pools, and a variety of desirable amenities. Yet, while Arizona, Nevada, and other desert regions are among the most popular retirement destinations, moving to these hot spots will require a period of acclimation.
- As the leading developer of 55+ communities, Del Webb has a reputation for offering impressive resort-style amenities and distinctive homes, which appeal to active adults. New Del Webb active adult communities are designed to reflect the company’s more than 50 years of experience, and older Del Webb communities are frequently updated to stay current with homebuyers’ changing needs.
- Active adult communities are known for their social and recreational activities, yet some new residents are surprised to learn that many age-restricted communities also offer counseling and support groups. While Baby Boomers grew up in a time when therapy was transitioning from a taboo into an accepted form of support, many of today’s active adults are open to the benefits of talking to a counselor or sharing their problems in a group setting.
- With its warm, dry climate, sunny beaches and beautiful mountains, Southern California feels like paradise to many retirees. This gorgeous area offers a varied climate as well as both urban attractions and suburban communities. For these reasons and more, Southern California has become a prime location for resort-style active adult communities, and it is easy to see that there are plenty of benefits to attract relocating retirees.
- The nation’s capital is a popular destination for active adults and tourists of all ages. There are a variety of museums, memorials and national landmarks, all of which will appeal to many different visitors. With so much to see, you may be inclined to visit several times or even consider relocating to the area. Retirees drawn to the Washington D.C. area will be pleased to find a wide variety of 55+ communities to choose from.
- Water aerobics classes are often offered at active adult communities, yet preconceptions may keep some residents from signing up. Despite their popularity with older adults, water aerobics classes are not just for senior citizens. Healthy active adults can enjoy this low-impact activity as another beneficial aspect of their normal exercise routine. Water aerobics classes are easy on joints, great for meeting new people, and they are a lot of fun.