Contributing Writer LinkedIn
Ellen Kershner has been a content writer for 55places.com since June of 2018. She covers the Northeast, contributing stories about New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania active adult communities and...
Ellen Kershner has been a content writer for 55places.com since June of 2018. She covers the Northeast, contributing stories about New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania active adult communities and lifestyle. She also writes for Spryte Communications, a Philadelphia healthcare marketing company, Advanta Advertising, and Premier Legal Marketing. From 2008 to 2018, she was the Director of Marketing for Senior Salon Services, a company that manages salons in retirement and assisted living communities. Ellen also worked in the Editorial Department of Shopper’s Guide, a South Jersey publication with a circulation of 500,000. Her work has also been published by The Philadelphia Inquirer, Ed Hitzel’s Restaurant Magazine, and the Burlington County NJ Trend newspaper group. She graduated with honors from The American University in Washington DC in 1986 and currently lives in Marlton, NJ.
433 Articles by this Author
- Active adult community reviews can provide a wealth of information for home seekers, and 55places reviews are written by people who live in these communities. This year, four New Jersey 55+ communities earned five-star ratings. Here's the lowdown on each.
- Perfectly situated about three miles northwest of downtown Gettysburg, Amblebrook broke ground in 2018. Upon completion, this resort-style 55+ community will offer 2,000 single-family homes, a selection of home models built by award-winning builders, and endless amenities and lifestyle options.
- Exercise trends come and go, but most fitness (and medical) professionals agree that swimming is one of the best workouts for all ages. Active adults make up a large percentage of those who swim for exercise, and there are over 20 active adult communities in Pennsylvania that have indoor pools--and most have outdoor ones too.
- One of the first things to know about South Jersey is that it's very different from North Jersey. If you're in the market for a South Jersey active adult community with new construction, there are over 20 neighborhoods that fit this bill, and some have resale homes as well. Here are four of our favorites.
- As we near our 2020 verdict, now is a good time to look at the past six COTY winners. These stellar communities offer the best of everything; they are the kinds of places that meet--and exceed--the needs of today's active adults. You'll be pleased to discover that these winners also have homes that are surprisingly affordable.