Editorial Manager LinkedIn
Mayra, a native of the south side of Chicago, is a staff writer for Neighborhoods.com and 55places.com. During her time as a 55places.com writer, she traveled to several active adult communities in...
Mayra, a native of the south side of Chicago, is a staff writer for Neighborhoods.com and 55places.com. During her time as a 55places.com writer, she traveled to several active adult communities in Florida where she gained extensive knowledge and insight about the 55+ communities, amenities, and active adult lifestyles.
Before joining the team, she was a quality assurance editor at Groupon. She is also a freelance writer for online educational websites and print trade publications as well as a blogger who wrote articles about her experiences as an urban Latina for independent nonprofit organizations.
665 Articles by this Author
- Known for its sunny and warm climate, scenic mountains, urban attractions and entertainment, and miles of sandy beaches along the Pacific Ocean, Southern California is often seen as a retirement paradise for active adults. See the full list of low-priced communities in Southern California.
- Pennsylvania is considered one of the most retirement-friendly states in the country. With so many benefits for retirees combined with a great selection of affordable age-restricted communities, it's no wonder active adults flock to the Keystone State. Check out the top lowest-priced communities in Pennsylvania.
- If you own a pet, you can incorporate them into fun activities that you can share together to make new memories. Animals, whether you own one or you're considering adoption, can be fun companions for retirees. Some studies have also shown that active adult community residents who own pets are more social, active, and happy.
- If you have a passion for writing or just enjoy writing in your free time, it might be useful to do it as a hobby when you are retired. Retirees have many options within the writing field such as blogging, travel writing, memoir writing, contributing to a local newspaper, and marketing.
- Sometimes it's nice to reminisce about those memorable moments when you had the time to dedicate to a specific hobby you were passionate about. As an adult you probably forgot about it because you were too busy with work, family, bills, and other responsibilities that got in the way.