Contributing Writer LinkedIn
Mike Gerrard writes about Arizona active adult communities for 55places.com. British-born, he has lived in a 55+ community in Southern Arizona with his American wife since 2005. He has been a full-time...
Mike Gerrard writes about Arizona active adult communities for 55places.com. British-born, he has lived in a 55+ community in Southern Arizona with his American wife since 2005. He has been a full-time freelance writer for about thirty years, and his first job after moving to Arizona was to write a piece about Arizona property values for The Times of London. He has won several awards for his work, writing about travel, drinks, property, music, and other topics for companies including American Express, National Geographic, Microsoft, Google, the BBC, AAA, The Huffington Post, and many more.
Mike has also written over 40 guidebooks, one podcast, three radio plays for the BBC, a collection of travel writing, and a crime novel. He currently lives in Green Valley, Arizona, midway between Tucson and the Mexican border.
33 Articles by this Author
- Talking Rock near Prescott in Arizona is unusual among communities designed with the active adult in mind in that it has no age restriction. It's also unusual because it features only larger homes--the smallest is almost 2,000 square feet--at a higher price range.
- Taylor Morrison is building new homes in Tonto Verde, Arizona, an established and popular golfing community for the 55+ active adult. Work began in 1992 and was completed in 2010, so the addition of new homes to the existing 717 single-family and attached homes is a good opportunity to buy into this gated community.
- Tucson's Del Webb communities benefit from the experience the company gained in building its first developments in Phoenix. If you combine the amenities of the communities with the attractions Mother Nature provides, then there are a lot of reasons to consider the 55+ active adult lifestyle in Del Webb's Tucson communities.
- Some people prefer the intimacy of smaller communities, where you can get to know all your neighbors, and where you can have the freedom to organize your own entertainment. These six small communities near Phoenix all have under 200 homes and a 55+ age restriction.
- There are some similarities between Trilogy at Vistancia near Phoenix and SaddleBrooke Ranch near Tucson, both are large active adult communities in Arizona, but there are differences too. So, how do you choose between them if you're considering them as possible options for buying a home?