Contributing Writer LinkedIn
Mike Gerrard writes about Arizona active adult communities for 55places.com. British-born, he has lived in a 55+ community in Southern Arizona with his American wife since 2005. He has been a full-time...
Mike Gerrard writes about Arizona active adult communities for 55places.com. British-born, he has lived in a 55+ community in Southern Arizona with his American wife since 2005. He has been a full-time freelance writer for about thirty years, and his first job after moving to Arizona was to write a piece about Arizona property values for The Times of London. He has won several awards for his work, writing about travel, drinks, property, music, and other topics for companies including American Express, National Geographic, Microsoft, Google, the BBC, AAA, The Huffington Post, and many more.
Mike has also written over 40 guidebooks, one podcast, three radio plays for the BBC, a collection of travel writing, and a crime novel. He currently lives in Green Valley, Arizona, midway between Tucson and the Mexican border.
120 Articles by this Author
- Buying a second home involves the initial capital outlay, but there are also hidden costs to snowbirding as a way of life. Some will be one-off costs and others will involve ongoing regular payments, so it's good to have an idea of the costs upfront if you're planning to become a snowbird.
- There are several age-restricted communities in Northern Arizona, mostly around Prescott but also in Bullhead City and Cornville. If you're looking for a non-age-restricted community in Northern Arizona, then your best option is to look around the Prescott Area. Otherwise, consider the following, which are all age-restricted.
- While there's plenty to do in Sun City Grand, and within the city of Surprise where it's located, there are also lots of good road trip options around Arizona. Some of the best road trips from Sun City Grand include the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff on Route 66, and outdoor activity options in places like the Tonto National Forest.
- Mosaic at West Creek, a 55+ active adult community in Goochland, Virginia is now in its first phase of construction. Located a 30-minute drive from Richmond, Mosaic at West Creek will comprise of 508 attached and single-family homes when completed. Eventually, there will be 11 models to choose from.
- Retirement communities in Southern Arizona enjoy a slightly different climate from those in Central Arizona or Northern Arizona. Of the many Southern Arizona communities that are perfect for downsizing, the following active adult communities offer different options, depending on what you want to do during your retirement.