Category: Online Resources
- June is National Homeownership Month in America, this year's theme is "Find Your Place." Here at 55Places we do our best to help active adults find their place, whether it's a home, amenity, or lifestyle. Click through for some of our best resources to find your 55+ community.
- Another year has come to a close. In 2017, the real estate world saw the opening of Jimmy Buffett’s Latitude Margaritaville, a surge of interest in the Carolinas, and the ever-popular The Villages in Florida topping several lists. To commemorate the year, we’ve compiled the most popular articles we published in 2017. These blog posts received the most unique pageviews last year – revisit any that caught your attention or catch up on any that you missed.
- Retirees may not look forward to national holidays in quite the same way that working stiffs do. But that doesn’t mean they don’t get to celebrate Labor Day with everybody else! It’s fun to fire up your grill and host a Labor Day feast commemorating the unofficial end summer, but it’s also important to take some time to learn about why Americans celebrate this holiday.
- Active adults looking to retire within the New England area will love Connecticut. Although small in size, Connecticut offers retirees quaint country towns and large, vibrant cities as well as numerous attractions, endless opportunities for recreation, and exciting entertainment. The diverse landscape features beautiful rolling hills, horse farms, lush woodlands, and winding rivers as well as a four-season climate that offers a stunning display of the colorful, changing seasons. Connecticut is also known for being the birthplace of many constitutional changes during America’s early days, which provides Boomers with a great combination of rural charm, rich history, and culture. Retirees searching for the best of both worlds should check out these active adult communities found throughout Connecticut.
- Across the country, retirees are busy searching for their perfect retirement destination where they can make the most of their Golden Years. They may be searching for places with great weather, affordable homes and cost of living, top-notch medical facilities, or proximity to city centers. And while locations like Florida, New Jersey, and Arizona get the most attention for being popular retirement destinations, active adults can rejoice knowing there are other areas that can provide the same options for their retirement lifestyle and needs.
- Kitchens are typically the heart of the home, and sometimes if a kitchen’s design isn’t up-to-date with the latest trends then it can be a deal breaker for new homebuyers. According to a study by Britannia Living, a kitchen appliance manufacturer, 52 percent of respondents ranked their kitchen as the most valuable room in their home. Fortunately, many active adult homebuilders realize the importance of a modern kitchen when building homes in their communities. Some communities feature innovative home designs that implement the latest kitchen trends that appeal to 55+ homebuyers. So if you’re searching for your next home or looking to remodel your old kitchen, make sure it incorporates a few of these popular kitchen design trends for 2017.
- Ordering food – or anything – from your smartphone has never been easier, and there have never been more options. Whether you want a quick meal from a local restaurant or fresh ingredients for a week of meals, there’s an app or website for you. Because of the wealth of options choosing a service might be overwhelming and it’s usually difficult to tell the advantages of one over another. If you’re looking for the app that caters to your tastes or preferences, here are a few of the more unique delivery services that deliver fresh food to the comfort of your own home.
- Let’s face it: video rental stores are at this point effectively a thing of the past. Whether you’re missing browsing for films and the smell of magnetic tape or are one of the many of us that could never quite remember to rewind, there is an ever-increasing set of options beyond what’s available on cable television. Video streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Video, and newcomer FilmStruck all have large and varied offerings that are thankfully much more diverse than the newest summer blockbuster movies. With the abundance of streaming options now available to film buffs, indulging in a little bit of Hollywood nostalgia has never been easier.
- Scammers around the world take advantage of new technology and age-old schemes to convince people to willingly give out important information or to send money. While some of these internet scams are readily identifiable to a keen eye, others can swindle even the most tech-savvy individuals out of time and money. While internet scams vary and constantly evolve, some basic knowledge, along with common sense and intuition, can help protect your assets. Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.