- Price Range
- Below $100k - High $200s
- Home Types
- Number of Homes
- New And Resale Homes
- Age Restrictions
- Construction Dates
- 1989 - Present
- Hometown America Communities
- 11 reviews
Saddlebrook Farms Overview
Saddlebrook Farms in Grayslake, Illinois is an age-restricted 720-acre community. It features over 100 acres of lakes, nature preserves and a working farm. The community presents a very "country" feel with open spaces and homes featuring front porches.
While Saddlebrook Farms does not boast some of the expansive amenities of newer active adult communities, residents do enjoy the neighborhood feeling they get with life here. Saddlebrook Farms in Grayslake is a land-lease community, whereby residents own their home but lease the land. As a result, residents pay a monthly association fee, but they are only taxed on the home (not the land). The community offers some of the most reasonably priced ranch homes in all of Lake County.
Saddlebrook Farms Amenities & Lifestyle
The Saddlebrook Farms clubhouse is a historic cabin overlooking a lake. The clubhouse retains a quaint cottage feeling quite different from other active adult communities in the Chicago area. The rustic cabin features exposed studs and large vaulted ceilings with timber beams. It is divided into several multi-purpose rooms for cards, crafts and aerobics.
What Saddlebrook Farms in Grayslake lacks in their clubhouse, they make up with in their lakes. Over 100 of the 700 acres of the community are covered by water. In addition to the lakes, residents enjoy the bocce ball court, horseshoe pits, miles of walking trails and open space throughout the community. With nearly 30 years of existence, Saddlebrook Farms is home to many social clubs and activities. The community has no designated activities coordinator, but the close-knit residents stay in touch and help coordinate various activities and clubs.
Saddlebrook Farms Homes & Real Estate
Construction of this Lake County 55+ community began in 1989 and plans call for about 2,000 residences. The homes for sale in Saddlebrook Farms are low-maintenance single-family homes. Saddlebrook Farms offers one of the best values in Lake County with homes between 1,169 and 2,516 square feet. Although the homes here do not hold the allure of more expensive communities, one still get the sense of a small-town community.
All of the homes are ranch style and feature front porches, making the neighborhood very inviting. Homes also feature attached two-car garages and numerous upgraded features such as 9-foot ceilings. With over 20 floor plans designed throughout the years and both new construction and previously owned residences, homebuyers will be sure to find the perfect home that meets their size and style requirements. There are also water-view home sites available.
Saddlebrook Farms in Northern Illinois is located near the intersection of Route 60 and Peterson Road in Grayslake. The location provides a country setting that still offers relatively easy access to communities like Grayslake, Fox Lake and Libertyville. In addition, I-94 is just 15-20 minutes from the community, making a drive to Chicago, O'Hare airport or even Wisconsin manageable in around an hour. The setting around the community is relatively rural, but Super Target is within 10 minutes and Hawthorne Mall in Vernon Hills is 20 minutes away.
Saddlebrook Farms Amenities
- Clubhouse - 4,000 Sq. Ft.
- Meeting Room
- Aerobics & Dance Studio
- Hobby & Game Rooms
- Card Room
- Bocce Ball Court
- Horseshoe Pit
- Scenic Lakes & Ponds
- Fishing Lakes
- Gardening Plots
- Picnic Area
- Walking & Biking Trails
- R.V./Boat Parking
Saddlebrook Farms Clubs, Groups, Activities & Classes
There are plenty of activities available in Saddlebrook Farms. Here is a sample of some of the clubs, activities and classes offered here.
- Bible Study
- Cardio Drumming
- Mah Jongg
- Men's Golf League
- Photography Club
- R.V. Club
- Veterans' Association
Single Family Homes
Price Range: Below $100k - High $200s
Saddlebrooke Farms offers new and resale single-family homes. These ranch homes offer between 1,169 and 2,516 square feet of living space. There are a variety of floor plans with one to three bedrooms, one to two-and-a-half bathrooms, and a one or two-car garage.View Floorplans
|Model Name||Sq. Ft.||Beds||Baths||Garage|
|Starlight||1169||1 + Den||1||2|
|Sunflower||1287||1 + Den - 2||1.5||2|
|Cedar Cove||1481||1 + Den - 2||2||2|
|Cape Ridge||1493||1 + Den - 2||2||2|
|Sarazen||1650||2 + Den||2||1|
|Misty Morn||1661||2 + Den - 3||2||2|
|Tommy Dorsey||1671||2 + Den||2||2|
|Artie Shaw||1682||2 - 2 + Den||2||2|
|Buckingham||1720||2 + Den||2||2|
|Count Basie||1737||2 + Den||2||2|
|Somerset||1744||2 + Den||2||2|
|Prairie II||1882||2 - 2 + Den||2||2|
|Windgate||1967||2 + Den||2.5||2|
|Triple Crown Deluxe||2130||2||2||1|
|Trillium||2358||2 - 3 + Den||2.5||2|
|Primrose||2516||2 - 3 + Den||2.5||2|
Saddlebrook Farms Reviews
- Brian H.|May 24, 2019We downsized to Saddlebrook three years ago and never looked back. Where else in Lake County can you have a 3-bedroom, two full-bath home on a lake for less than $240,000? The convenience of having a maintenance staff onsite is so helpful, not only for lawn care and snow removal but for repairs. For example, when our garbage disposal stopped working a few weeks ago, I called the office and a worker came right out. Turned out it was a minor repair and I was charged only $17.50. Try to get a plumber to come out for that.
- George B.|May 24, 2019I have been here almost 2 years and still loving it. I attend classes at the new excise building and belong to the Fishing club.
It was a great decision to sell my big house and move into the Saddlebrook community
- Mrs. R.(Resident/Homeowner)|October 28, 2017My husband and I are very happy living in Saddlebrook Farms. We moved here from a 2-story, 2,500 sq. ft. house which was costing a small fortune to maintain. My husband is still working as we are on the younger end of the age group here. Because of that, I cannot attest to expenses for those who are no longer working and on a fixed income. There are two other 55+ communities we had looked at in the area and they appeared to be quite a bit more expensive. We recently did some remodeling and the contractors had a favorable impression of the quality of the construction of our home. The common grounds are well maintained and response to snow clearing has been quick. Garbage, recycling, lawn maintenance, snow removal, water and cable are all included in the lot rent. Rather than searching the internet for someone to do a house project, Saddlebrook Farms has a staff of maintenance people who can install new skylights, clean gutters, etc. and you receive a bill AFTER the work is completed. We love our neighbors; everybody looks out for everybody else which is not to be taken lightly as we get older. While some residents may have had an unfavorable experience living here, my husband and I have had a very positive one.
- Disappointed (Resident/Homeowner)|October 21, 2017I was impulsive when purchasing at SB. They not only charge you 3% (agreement says up to 3% but guaranteed you will be charged the max they can) but also add on extra annual increases to your monthly fee. I have been there for approx. 3 yrs., I now pay $117.00 more per month to SB. Had I known their fees would increase so drastically each year, I would have never bought there. Soon one will not be able to afford living there. The management is rarely easy to deal with (once you sign the dotted line). SB is so focused on selling their new homes they make it hard for one to sell an existing one.
Seems since Hometown took over there focus is all about how much they can legally squeeze out of resident's. Items that were initially in resident agreement since have charges for. It is not the type of community I thought I was purchasing in (I purchased soon after Hometown took over and I nor anyone had any idea how things would change so rapidly). We all make our own choices but I strongly recommend talking to a variety of people (not just ones SB might recommend) before making a decision. So many sellers of existing homes have had to take a substantial lose in selling, primarily due to the excessive lot fees charged makes it much harder to afford and sell. DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE EVER PURCHASING AT SB.
- mary (Resident/Homeowner)|July 29, 2017SBF used to be a friendly place to live and everyone knew everyone, not the case anymore. Its staff used to be much friendlier and less apt to dismiss out of hand legitimate concerns of the residents, and they did not try to rip you off and raise the monthly fee so high it is no longer affordable, Biggest mistake was when they sold out to Home Town America, SBF has lost so much of its small town feel, With all the new homes going up one would think they did not need to be so greedy. I can no longer recommend SBF as a nice place to live, Bottom line is its all about how much money they squeeze out of you and even though you are a home owner you have no say in anything management decides to do. We are not consulted in any way, Bear all of this in mind if you are considering moving to SBF,
- Lori |February 17, 2017Saddlebrook use to be a wonderful place to live. New management is very greedy. Starting to charge us for things that were free before. Raising lot rents to unaffordable levels. I don't recommend buying here. Not so nice anymore.
- Steve T.|January 21, 2017This is a great place to live. Homes are really nice and affordable. I love the fishing lakes.
- Marlys Mc Cullough (Resident/Homeowner)|December 21, 2016good comments, not so good comments come in but I'd like to be on the positive side and thank the snow cleanup crew for a fantastic job they have done so far. They were prompt and thorough. Give them a gold star!!
- Tpdd W.|December 16, 2016The neighborhood is very nice. 55+ age restricted, with a lot of activities for residents. Wooded areas with lots of walking trails too!
- Valerie C Lovingood (Resident/Homeowner)|August 28, 2016I bought my home in Saddlebrook Farms in November of 2012. One of the selling points was my parents. They bought their home in Saddlebrook Farms in September of 2001.
The land lease arrangement means I own all of the property. Lakes included, without the worry of maintenance. Snow is removed from my driveway as well as the streets. Trash and recycling are picked up promptly. Mowing is regular maintenance throughout the growing season.
Privacy is a guarantee, however there is never a feeling of being isolated. There are many clubs/activities to participate in. Most events are centered around our Lake Lodge which is always available free to homeowners.
I always tell people who ask, I have always been happy I bought a home at Saddlebrook Farms
- Dawn M.(Resident/Homeowner)|July 22, 2016I cannot tell you how difficult it is to work with SBF. The assessment has risen EVERY year since we bought our house there and, to be blunt, is now no longer worth the cost of living there. They like to point out all of the benefits of living there - and yes, there are many. but for what we've paid each month, we are not getting our value.
Most troubling, they are a nightmare to deal with when trying to sell a home. They are in the market of selling their new homes - so they really make it difficult for those who are attempting to sell an existing home. Resale options are very important and they make it too difficult so owners don't have many options.
If I had to do it over again, I would encourage my loved one NOT to buy in SBF.
The information on this page is aggregated from third-party sources and presented as-is for your convenience. It has not been verified or approved by the developer or homeowners association. 55places.com does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of information or assume any liability for its use. 55places.com is not affiliated with the builder, developer, or HOA of any communities displayed on this website.
55places.com is not affiliated with the developer(s) or homeowners association of Saddlebrook Farms. The information you submit is distributed to a 55places.com Partner Agent, who is a licensed real estate agent. The information regarding Saddlebrook Farms has not been verified or approved by the developer or homeowners association. Please verify all information prior to purchasing. 55places.com is not responsible for any errors regarding the information displayed on this website.