- Price Range
- Below $100k - Low $400s
- Home Types
- Single Family, Attached
- Number of Homes
- New And Resale Homes
- Age Restrictions
- Construction Dates
- 1981 - Present
- On Top of the World Communities
- 48 reviews
On Top of the World Overview
On Top of the World in Ocala, FL is a beautiful active adult community in the heart of Central Florida. The planned 10,000 homes make the community one of the largest in the state. It has attracted retirees from across the country with its finely crafted homes, world-class amenities, and active lifestyle.
On Top of the World Florida is located just six and a half miles west of Interstate 75. Surrounded by rolling hills and ancient oaks, Ocala is acclaimed as the Horse Capital of the World. The setting provides the perfect escape for active adults who want to get the most out of life. With everything that On Top of the World has to offer, it is easy to understand why so many retirees have chosen to call this 55+ community their home.
On Top of the World Amenities
On Top of the World is renowned for its world-class amenities that cater to the interests of every resident. The community has a myriad of facilities that include enviable amenities such as three golf courses, several clubhouses, fitness centers, swimming pools, tennis and pickleball courts, restaurants, even an R/C airplane field, and an R/C car track. The Recreation Center, Hobby Building, and Arbor Club and Conference Center are open to residents.
There are three 18-hole golf courses at On Top of the World. The Candler Hills Golf Club is a semi-private, par 72, 4,877 to 7,233-yard course, depending on which of the five tees you start from and was designed by renowned golf course architect Gordon Lewis. The Links and The Tortoise & The Hare are private courses reserved exclusively for residents and their guests.
After a round of golf, residents can gather for drinks and a meal within the community. There are two restaurants at this active adult community: The Pub, which is reserved for residents and their guests, and The Club at Candler Hills, which is adjacent to the golf course and is open to the public.
Circle Square Commons is the entertainment and social hub for the public and residents. Circle Square Cultural Center (CSCC) at Circle Square Commons brings top name entertainment to the Ocala area, featuring spectacular events and performers every year. With seating for over 830 guests theater-style, residents have an incredible concert experience in this unique intimate setting. In addition to concerts, Circle Square Culture Center is the largest indoor venue for banquets in Ocala. This beautiful auditorium also hosts theatrical productions, dances, conventions, expos, fundraising events, and more. The Ranch Fitness Center and Spa is Ocala's first world-class spa and state-of-the-art fitness center designed to provide cardiovascular and strength-training equipment with specialized fitness programs. In addition to the fitness center, The Ranch also includes a full service day spa and professional salon.
Master the Possibilities is a not-for-profit lifelong learning center at Circle Square Commons and was designed to cater to the growing trend of active adults who wish to continue their education and learn new pursuits. This adult learning center offers cutting edge classes in several hundred courses throughout the year including academic and special interests, fine arts and crafts, health and wellness, computer training, and culinary classes. Most classes are free to residents or require a nominal fee to participate.
There are also several everyday conveniences located right at The Commons such as an ice cream shop, deli, and weekly farmer's market with fresh locally grown produce. Anchoring the Circle Square Commons is the Town Square, which showcases live entertainment every Friday and Saturday evening. The Town Square is complete with a stage gazebo that provides the perfect location for residents to gather and unwind after a long week.
On Top of the World Homes & Real Estate
On Top of the World offers a variety of unique floor plans designed for the way active adults want to live. Homebuyers can choose from maintenance-free, single-family homes and attached villas that approximately range from 1,000 to over 3,000 square feet. Most homes feature concrete block, steel stud, and stucco construction. All new homes are built by employing innovative building techniques to save on energy costs.
In addition to the new construction homes, there is a wide assortment of pre-owned resale homes at On Top of the World Florida. Construction of the community started in the early 1980s and there has since been numerous home styles and floor plans offered. Buyers can select from intimate villas all the way to stately homes with magnificent golf course views.
This 55+ community is divided into two distinct communities with several neighborhoods to choose from, depending on your budget and conveniences included. The largest section is commonly referred to as Meridian Preserve. Residents in this community enjoy fully maintained homes and lawns included in their monthly association dues. The second section, Candler Hills, is composed of elegant and stylish estate homes. This gated neighborhood offers an intimate upscale appeal and gorgeous golf course views. Plus, residents of Candler Hills enjoy exclusive use of the Candler Hills Community Center, an ideal place to gather with friends and mingle with neighbors. Residents of both communities are able to enjoy the 250,000 sq. ft. of amenities located at On Top of the World in Ocala.
On Top of the World Lifestyle
The lifestyle is scarcely matched by any other active adult community in the country. There are over 175 organized clubs and interest groups that are sure to keep residents busy and socially active all year long. Plus, there is a vast array of community activities, events, and classes offered every day of the week.
Homeowners can join a club, take a class, or pick up a new hobby such as painting, ceramics, yoga or fresh air fitness. Some of the other clubs and activities include R/C flyers, red hatters, golf, bocce, bowling, happy hour, pickleball, singles’ club, garden club, travel club, theatre club, teacher's club, and snowbird club. With so many activities and clubs to participate in, residents will never have a dull moment living in this 55+ community.
With everything the community has to offer, residents might never feel the need to leave. But when it is time to venture out, the surrounding area has a lot to offer. There are several nearby conveniences accessible via golf cart including two grocery stores, a post office, several restaurants, retail shops, and banks. This community also offers bus service to several nearby shopping areas.
There are many exciting attractions surrounding this 55+ community. Downtown Ocala offers great shopping and restaurants. Silver Springs Park is one of the oldest attractions in Florida. For over 50 years visitors have been entertained with the glass bottom boat rides on Silver Springs. Rainbow River State Park in Dunnellon offers gorgeous nature trails and year round swimming in the 72 degree clear waters of the natural springs.
The Florida Horse Park is just ten miles away and offers enjoyable rodeos, tractor pulls and 4H shows. Places like the Kennedy Space Center, Disney World, Sea World, and Universal Studios are accessible in less than 90 minutes. Plus, Tampa and Orlando's airports are readily accessible making trips to other destinations around the country a breeze. On Top of the World in Ocala is truly a great active adult community that has everything to offer 55+ homeowners in Central Florida.
On Top of the World Amenities
The Recreation Center, Hobby Building and Arbor Club and Conference Center are open to all residents.
- Recreation Center
- Group Exercise Room
- Steam Rooms & Saunas
- Locker Rooms
- The Pub Restaurant
- Meeting Room
- 1,500 Seat Ballroom
- Golf Shop
- Outdoor Pool & Spa
- 2 Racquetball Courts
- 12 Pickleball Courts
- 8 Shuffleboard Courts
- Basketball Court
- Horseshoe Pits
- Softball Field
- Picnic Pavillion
- Dog Park
- Gardening Plots
The Craft Building provides spaces for arts & crafts and other recreational activities.
- Card Room
- Billiards Room
- Arts & Crafts Studio
- Woodworking Shop
- Meeting Room
Arbor Club & Conference Center
Arbor Club & Conference Center offers the following amenities:
- Arbor Club - 10,000 Sq. Ft.
- State-Of-The-Art Fitness Center
- Locker Rooms
- Olympic-sized Indoor Pool
- Aerobics & Dance Studio
- Outdoor Pool & Spa
- 6 Ten-Ply Plexicushion Tennis Courts
- 4 Bocce Ball Courts
Candler Hills Community Center
Candler Hills Community Center is open only to residents of Candler Hills neighborhood.
- Candler Hills Community Center
- Card Room
- Catering Kitchen
- Indoor Lounge
- Meeting Room
- Outdoor Pool & Spa
- Outdoor Fire Pit
Indigo East Community Center
Indigo East Community Center is open to residents of Indigo East neighborhood only.
- Fitness Center
- 3 Social Gathering Rooms
- Aerobics Studio
- Catering Kitchen
- Outdoor Pool & Spa
- Outdoor Patio
- Walking Trails
Circle Square Commons
Circle Square Commons is the entertainment and social hub of the community open to residents and the public.
- Master the Possibilities Education Center
- The Ranch Fitness Center & Spa
- On Top of the World Design Studio
- Circle Square Cultural Center
- Sid's Coffee Shop & Deli
- Mr. B's Big Scoop Ice Cream Shop
- Town Square
- Bridgenet Communications
On Top of the World Clubs, Groups, Activities & Classes
There are plenty of activities available in On Top of the World. Here is a sample of some of the clubs, activities and classes offered here.
- 100 Grandparents
- Alpha Investment Group
- American Jewish Club
- Aqua Belles
- Arbor Club
- Arbor Tennis Club
- Artistic Crafts & Gifts
- Avalon Social Club
- Ballet Club
- Billiard Club
- Blood Bank
- Bocce Ball
- Bridge Practice
- Bundicious Chicks
- Bus Ocala Run
- Candler Connection
- Candler Hills Men's Golf Assoc.
- Car Scanner Decals
- Cardio Mix
- Caribbean Club
- Casino Nights
- Ceramics Class
- Chorus Concert
- Circle Squares Square Dancers
- Community Patrol
- Computer Club
- Continuing Education Classes
- Craft Fairs
- Crocheting & Knitting
- DBD Classes
- Dancin' on the Top
- Dancing Singles
- Day Trips
- Decorating Committee
- Democratic Club
- Embroidery Chicks
- Entertainment on the Town Square
- Family History
- Farmer's Markets
- French Club
- Fresh Air Fitness
- Game Night
- Garden Club
- Genealogical Society
- General Frances Stamp Club
- Get Acquainted Coffee
- Girls Night Out
- Glow Bunco
- Greyhound Club
- Hand & Foot
- Happy Hour
- High Tea
- Hoofin it for Hospice
- Hoosier Club
- Illinois Club
- Indigo Social Club
- Irish Club
- Italian/American Club
- Karaoke Friends
- Kingdom of the Sun
- Knit Witts
- Ladies Golf
- Lifelong Learning
- Line Dancing
- Men's Golf
- Miniature Golf
- Model Railroaders
- Monday Night Bridge
- Music Concerts
- NY/NJ Club
- Native Plant Group
- Neighbors of Windsor
- New England Club
- Original Karaoke Group
- RC Flyers
- ROMEO Club
- Rags to Riches Sale
- Red Hatters
- Republican Club
- Sail Away Cruise Club
- Scandinavian/American Club
- Sewing Bees
- Shuffleboard Club
- Shutterbugs Photo Group
- Side Kick Western Dance Club
- Singles Club
- Snowbird Club
- Southern Club
- Square Dancing
- Stamp Club
- Sunshine Quilters
- Sunshine Singers
- Tai Chi
- Talent Shows
- Tall Tale Traveler's
- Teachers Club
- Theatre Group
- Travel Toppers
- Unique Birders
- Veterans Club
- Visually Impaired Support Group
- Women of the World
- Wood Carving
Price Range: Below $100k - High $100s
Attached villas are available on a resale-only basis. These homes offer 1,092 to 1,856 square feet of living space. They have two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and attached one or two-car garages. Please Note: Not all floor plans are available at this time.View Floorplans
Price Range: Low $100s - Mid $200s
Candler Hills neighborhood is comprised of single-family homes that offer 1,220 to 2,631 square feet of living space. They have two or three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and an attached two-car garage. These homes are available on a resale-only basis.View Floorplans
Single Family Homes
Price Range: Mid $100s - Low $300s
Single-family homes found throughout various neighborhoods in On Top of the World offer 1,204 to 2,405 square feet of living space. These detached homes have one to three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and one or two-car garages. These single-family floor plans are available on a resale-only basis.View Floorplans
|Model Name||Sq. Ft.||Beds||Baths||Garage|
|Franklin||1379||2 + Den||2||2|
|Sheffield||1407||2 + Den||2||2|
|Wakefield||1503||2 + Den||2||2|
|Hamilton||1551||1 + Den - 2||2||1|
|Hanover||1669||2 + Den||2||2|
|Kingston||1758||2 + Den||2||2|
|Essex||1819||2 + Den - 3||2||2|
|Waterford||2095||2 + Den||2||2|
|Danbury||2405||3 + Den||2||2|
|Jefferson||2 + Den||2||2|
Price Range: Mid $100s - Mid $300s
Premier Series single-family homes offer 1,468 to 2,508 square feet of living space. These homes have two or three bedrooms, two or three bathrooms, and an attached two or two-and-a-half-car garage. These homes are available as new construction or resale.View Floorplans
Price Range: Mid $200s - Low $400s
Estate Series single-family homes have views of the Candler Hills Golf Course. These homes offer 1,756 to 2,888 square feet of living space with two or three bedrooms and two or three bathrooms. They have an attached two to three-and-a-half-car garage and are available as new construction or resale.View Floorplans
|Model Name||Sq. Ft.||Beds||Baths||Garage|
|Kippin||1756||2 + Den||2||2|
|Brighton||2077||2 + Den||2||3|
|Sterling Grand||2447||3 + Den||2||2.5|
|Newburn||2600||3 + Den||2||3|
|Northampton||2642||3 + Den||2||3|
|St. Andrews||2800||2 + Den||2||3|
|Wellington||2812||3 + Den||3||3.5|
Price Range: Mid $100s - Low $200s
The Cottage Series is the newest collection offered in the community and includes four different floor plans ranging from 1,889 to 2,120 square feet in space. They offer two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and attached two-car garages. The energy-efficient homes come with granite countertops, oak wood cabinetry, and covered lanais.
|Model Name||Sq. Ft.||Beds||Baths||Garage|
|Tamar||1460||2 + Den||2||2|
Price Range: High $200s - Low $400s
Masterpiece Series single-family homes are the largest homes offered in On Top of the World. These homes offer 2,923 or 3,039 square feet of living space. They have three bedrooms, two-and-a-half or three bathrooms, and an attached two-and-a-half or three-car garage. These homes are available on a resale-only basis.View Floorplans
Price Range: High $100s - High $200s
The Classic Series offers floor plans from 1,500 to 2,128 square feet in size. They include two or three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and attached two-car garages.
|Model Name||Sq. Ft.||Beds||Baths||Garage|
|Ginger||1746||2 + Den||2||2|
|Sunflower||1946||2 + Den||2||2|
|Wisteria||2128||2 + Den||2||2|
On Top of the World Reviews
- Debra S.|April 26, 2019Have 2 cousins each living here. They are very happy with the friends they have made & activities available. These are single senior woman that cannot do yard work at this rage in life. And for the high maintenance fees paid here they sure shouldn’t have to. There is no grass because trees are overgrown. Leaves falling are never raked or blown off driveways. Extreme safety hazard having wet leaves on drives & walkways. HOA is supposed to cover this but it is never done. They just offered to sell our cousin sod to put in at her own expense. The sod however will not grow due to all the tree roots in yard which are also an extreme safety hazard. Very disappointed & would not recommend community.
- P L.|February 13, 2019It is a great 55 plus age retirement community! Not a gum wrapper out of place! Own a home there and have been there winters with very enjoyable times with great neighborhoods! Google and check out model homes! Top of the World! Residence Owner!
- VIRGIL B.|September 11, 2018Have been here for 3 weeks. Just getting to know drive around lost a couple times without GPS. Have not seen any poorly maintained properties. Amenities galore. Customer service excellent so far. Only problem Spectrum monopoly no other options that I am aware of makes internet very expensive at introductory offers of $100 or more. Maintenance people very pleasant
- Becky A.|August 2, 2018I have been here for 7 months and couldn't be happier!!! There is so much to do and, if you're bored, it's your own fault! I've met some of the most wonderful people and have developed a very strong circle of friends. Being single, it's an incredible feeling to not feel alone anymore!! After reading a few of the "not-so-good" reviews, I'm more convinced that some will find fault with everything! This community is the absolute best and not the first one I've been in. I can say that I'm on top of the world at On Top of the World!!!!
- Ron P.|July 18, 2018Lawn Care Sucks, Places not mowed, Very poor lawn care. ask mower guy to fix and never did it just smiled and left. I would not recommend OTW if you want a nice kept yard.
- Sharon C.|July 5, 2018Ive been 4 years. Met a lot of nice friends. But the golf cart access suppose to be on a main street. The new couple on end complained Im going to close to their villa. Which I was . I went to the HR and asked Marion and that was the access. Then I seen reflectors where I couldnt get through. Went to the office and talked to Jennifer twice. She said go through the villas. Which is not access and in the rule book. Havent heard of a reply. All I want is to know what is the RULE..My two neighbors put sod in now I have to go through that. between the villas. They need to readjust the access at the end to keep her happy. First it was the dog barking. The neighbor behind her has a fence and bushes. So if I go on that side it would scratch my golf cart. So what is right I ask you. CUT THE TREE DOWN.../.
- John J.|June 4, 2018Moved her after visiting several communities. Everything was fine until we had our first significant rain storm...now our back yard floods nearly every time it rains. We have called and written customer service several times but so far the problem still exist. Honestly...had we known of this problem prior to purchase we would have gone elsewhere.
- Karen and Kevin J.|May 30, 2018We bought a house from Cathy and she immediately figured out what we wanted. This was refreshing as we are from MN and visitors several communities and we liked them all however at OTOTW they were able to match our price point and we had zero issues. We are moving in July and I Can’t wait!
- Mary B.|May 28, 2018I lived there 5 years first in the villas then a single family home too many rules hoa fees are high couldn’t wait to move.
- Tom & Kathy (Resident/Homeowner)|January 9, 2018We have only been here a few months - But in this short time - We have met new friends - and have found much enjoyment in the activities. Saturday nights at the square - listening to the music and watching the line dancers. Just golf cart rides around the neighborhoods brings much enjoyment.
My only complaint is that I wish they would extend the golf cart paths to be able to cross 80th St to get to Lowes and the neighborhood WalMart..
Loving it at OTOW.!!
- Richard S.(Resident/Homeowner)|December 29, 2017Homeowner at the OTOW CLEARWATER, Great place to live, yet Administration is difficult. Communication is one way. Residents do not have a voice!
- Bob and Susan (Resident/Homeowner)|October 12, 2017Disregard the gripers. The community is maintained in a top-notch way. Wide roadways, cart paths, excellent recreational facilities...more to do than we have time for. We have found facilities to be well-kept, staff and service workers to be friendly, and ordinances are fairly applied. The homes are affordable and most, not all, updated and very nice inside.
- Andrew C.(Resident/Homeowner)|August 12, 2017Great place to live, been here for 8 months got a great deal on a used house. I stay so busy with all the physical activities softball, wallyball, racquet ball, pickleball and more. People I meet while playing all these sports are nice and interesting. So glad I moved here would recommend to anyone one who is active.
- Jim (Resident/Homeowner)|June 27, 2017Answering the inquiry from 5/20/17. There are folks your she here (50's,) but as with anything, you'll have to get involved in things to find them. There are also many older folks, some by virtue of their age and others by virtue of their "old" attitudes. I believe you'll find this to be the case in most 55+ communities. Overall, with the available amenities, OTOW is a bargain.
- P |May 20, 2017My post is a question not a comment. We have visited several times and love what we see. We however are in our late 50s. Nothing against the older folks but we aren't sure if there is anyone there in our age range.
- Moze A.(Resident/Homeowner)|April 10, 2017This place has gone down over the few years. Commercial trucks parked overnight, unregistered vehicles, window air conditioners in front windows and the list goes on. They take your money but don/t follow thru with the rules and services.
- Gloria (Resident/Homeowner)|March 14, 2017After living in Citrus Hills for 11 years, we often found ourselves traveling to Ocala for restaurants, doctors and shopping. We decided to sell and research the communities of Trilogy, StoneCreek and OTOTW. Moved into the Stonebridge neighborhood of OTOTW. Great floor plan with a super large garage. 4 grocery stores right in front of the community. Easy to visit the Villages without the hassle of living there. We made the right choice for us.
- Matt S.|December 20, 2016Pretty amazing place to live. There are tons of clubs and events going on all the time. This place will keep you busy! What a great place to live.
- Bev (Resident/Homeowner)|December 11, 2016Disregard all the reviews from the "crabby" owners. No, this place isn't "going downhill."
I've been here for 2 years and am one of the "younger" generation, only 60+. I live in OTOW's best kept secret - the older villas or attached homes. Of course OTOW wants to sell their new homes and for those who want 3,000+ sq. ft and can afford to spend upwards of $150-300K, that's fine. However, you have to maintain your own yard. Here in the villas we don't.
This is the place to be if you play golf. Two grocery stores are right outside the front gate. The Route 200 corridor is going to be built up in the next few years so there will be a lot more things available close by. The city of Ocala proper is about 10 miles away with many interesting places to visit, a quaint town square, many different shops and restaurants.
Prices for the villas have risen over the past 2 years with the uptick of the real estate market. They are extremely affordable, now going for the low 60's to mid 80's. Not bad for a cement block structure house, 2 BR 2 bath, garage, yard maintenance, basic cable, water. They maintain the outside of the home (painting) but you are responsible for the cost of the roof replacement. Prices very depending the sq. footage of your roof.
Everyone is very friendly. Of course there are the usual curmudgeons, but they are few and far between.
There are a kazillion clubs (about 200) and you're only bored if you want to be. The only comment that I have are that some of the clubs are aimed at those older than I. Yeah - I guess I could try them, but frankly, bingo, mah jong, bridge, canasta don't interest me. If you're into crafts, that's wonderful.
Classes abound. They used to be free for residents but lately they're charging $5 a class for residents and more for non-residents. There are some interesting ones - a virtual gold mine of interesting subjects.
It's very safe here. I walk all over all the Friendship communities. I like the fact that there's a 24 hour guard at every gate. A neighbor was going out of town and her Dad was coming to pick her up. It was around 4 a.m. and the guard called her house. Her cell was out on the porch on her suitcase - she had run back inside for something. Since the guard couldn't get an answer, he wouldn't let Dad in. Good move! That's shows he did his job.
All in all, I like it here. It's very quiet. I'd recommend it to anybody. OTOW is a great place to live!
- Tom and Gladys (Resident/Homeowner)|September 29, 2016It's been 4 months that we moved from New York to this beautiful complex that gives us everyday new challenges to do things that we never did in New York. The people that live here are friendly and if you need a helping hand they are there for you and nothing in return. Everyone says hello and most of the times they stop and make conversation with you. The workers are professional in there trade. They make On Top Of The World more beautiful then what it is. We have no regrets.
- Sue & Steve (Resident/Homeowner)|September 19, 2016We have lived in Friendship Colony for 1 1/2 years now and are year round residents. We absolutely love it, the community is generally very well kept, manicured. We have water, basic cable, and exterior bldg maintenance included in our fee. The only reason I did not give it five stars is that I have seen some areas where the yard work in front is very neglected, weeds reached about 1 foot in height. This is mostly just on side streets. Luckily, we live on a main thoroughfare, so we do not have that problem. Otherwise, we are very very pleased with the community, and we consider it a reasonable value for the amount of amenities that you get. It is very peaceful and quiet here and the residents are usually very friendly. We have felt very welcome here and already feel very much "at home".
- Odell G.(Resident/Homeowner)|September 13, 2016This used to be a nice place. Now all the Colen family cares about is maximizing profit. The golf courses are going downhill through lack of maintenance. The facilities need updating. The employees are sullen and condescending. The HOA continues to be raised. There are much better alternatives and we will be moving soon.
- Richard & Barbara (Resident/Homeowner)|October 29, 2015Anyone looking at 55+ communities in central Florida will certainly visit The Villages. We did. It's HUGE with around 100,000 homes. The phrase we heard most often from our guide was "Hope we can find a parking place."
Imagine a community with all of the amenities of The Villages (clubs, pools, gyms, sports facilities of all kinds, beautiful grounds and life-long learning center) but with only about 5,000 homes. That's On Top of the World. Oh, we also have something that you won't find in The Villages, a beautiful, large indoor heated swimming pool!
We built a home in the Candler Hills neighborhood in 2012. A few months ago, we wrote to the developer to comment that in the almost 3 years we had lived in the community, we had yet to find anything to complain about!
Although we have been lucky with weather since we have been in Florida, should we get a big storm, all the homes and villas here are sturdy masonry construction. No stick-built, vinyl-sided stuff here.
We were able to sell one of our two cars when we moved here because there are two shopping plazas (one with a Publix, the other with Winn-Dixie) accessible by golf cart. Several restaurants are also golf cart accessible, and there is a Dunkin Donuts where you can take your golf cart through the drive-thru lane!
Of course management would like to sell you a new single-family home, but they have also formed a real estate company specifically to handle resales in the community. They will happily show you both single-family homes as well as villas.
Looking for an economical way to live in Florida? We have friends who purchased a villa 2 years ago for $40,000 (including the golf cart). The kitchen and master bath were somewhat dated, so they spent $25,000 on updates and now have a lovely 1500 sq. ft. home.
Whether you're looking for a well-built single family home at a reasonable price or really economical living in a villa, we're convinced that On Top of the World deserves a look.
- Kathy & Darryl (Resident/Homeowner)|September 26, 2015We bought in the Candler Hills section of OTOW about 2 years ago and love it. Had initially looked at The Villages but the house pricing was way too high for what you get. At On Top Of The World, you can get a beautiful home on the Golf Course for less than $300,000 in the Candler Hills section. They also offer maintenance free homes or villas which are a really good deal for much less. Property has 3 Golf Courses. Plenty of activities.
They have recently opened the Stonebridge section of Candler and are currently constructing a new lodge with resort style swimming pool.
I would highly recommend OTOW to anybody looking for a 55+ community.
- Ernie & Nancy (Resident/Homeowner)|July 2, 2015We moved into Friendship Village in OTOW approximately a month ago and love it. Our neighborhood is very quiet and the neighbors very friendly. Customer Service has been very helpful and the maintenance of the outside is great. The guards and gates give us a very secure feeling. We looked into other communities before moving here and OTOW was far and away superior. No complaints here.
- Sharon C.(Resident/Homeowner)|June 4, 2015In regards to the yard maintenance is that great for sure. I live in Friendship Village
and we get our yards done every 3 weeks and terrible when they do it. They leave big
patches that they miss mowing and the trimming is terrible. Sure they have a lack of employees
and dont pay them very good as I was told by one of the workers.
We pay good HOA fees and they have their rules but the yard maintenance needs a lot of improvements. Other than that I love it here. Why cant they work on the maintenance in our section.
- Marilyn R.(Resident/Homeowner)|April 16, 2015Mike who posted a review in 2013 is totally wrong. If you purchase a villa, you own it. It's the land that is leased, but it's a 99 year lease and there is no rent payment for the land. It was included in the price of the villa. We've been here almost five years and it's beautiful and well kept. I have also never seen a tattooed motor cyclist wearing a skull and crossbones jacket.
Our villa is 1,341 square feet contains a living room, dining room, kitchen, lanai, two bedrooms and two bathrooms, which is plenty for two adults. Our second bedroom is used as a guest room. As for the comment about the grounds, OTOW maintains everything in front of the house and the lawn and leaf removal in both front and back. Trimming bushes or flowers in the back is the homeowners responsibility.
We enjoy it here and are year-round residents.
- PHF (Resident/Homeowner)|April 6, 2015I'd just like to comment on the tattoo faces and loud motorcycles. I have yet seen a tattoo face or seen or heard a motorcycle. I've been a resident for 2 years and I live in a villa and love it! Only other thing I can say is if you are unhappy at OTOW move.
- Tennessee Vol Fan (Resident/Homeowner)|March 11, 2015I bought a fully furnished villa in April this year and could not be happier with it. We still live in TN and come down every chance we get and can not wait till we are full time residents. I have not met a single person that I would not call a future lifelong friend. If you will try there stay and play offer you will see why I fell in love with this place, Ocala is a wonderful place to live and OTOW is the best choice.
- BTH (Resident/Homeowner)|March 10, 2015I have lived here for a little over 4 months. Over the course of a year I researched many different 55+ communities in FL and always seemed to come back to OTOW. While most of the other communities are cheaper to purchase, and the HOA fees lower, I really didn't want to live in a trailer (modular) with an attached carport, which seems to be mainly what is offered here in Florida. Many of these other communities didn't have the range of amenities offered here.
Yes, in the ads for the community, you won't see the villas mentioned. I guess this is supposed to be a well-kept secret that the On Top Of The World real estate people don't want you to know about. They want to sell the big bucks housing! While I am sure that the stand-alone homes are beautiful, the square footage is just too much for some people, myself included. I never even considered a free-standing home. They were too expensive for me. I live in one of the villas and it is just fine for me.
I feel very safe here. This is a gated community with a guard, the streets are private so not just anybody can drive through. There are security cameras everywhere. One at each gate records the license plate of every vehicle leaving. Even the local sheriff's department agrees that this is a very safe community to live in.
For those who have posted comments in this section regarding "bikers" or stating that OTOW does not keep up the lawns here - that's just balderdash! Yes, there are motorcyclists here but they are not the rowdy Hell's Angels that the complainers insist they are. No, I haven't experienced bikes blasting in and out of the community.
Regarding the complaint about the maintenance, there are crews who work diligently and cover this ENTIRE community once a week, excluding Saturdays and Sundays. I walk my entire "Friendship" community here every week and see them doing different streets every day. This is a HUGE job! They work their way across the entire expanse of OTOW, then the next week, start at it all over again! There are some people here who are totally fanatical about their property and are out there every day blowing leaves off lawns and driveways. Me? I am very happy to leave it to the groundskeepers once a week.
If golf is your thing, this is a wonderful place. As far as the other amenities are concerned, there are a ton of classes - many offered for free - presented by Master The Possibilities. As I am at the bottom of the age bracket allowed here, most of the clubs seem to be for those older than I am. I guess in the coming years, with the older generation of residents passing on, things will change.
In closing, I'd like to say that this is an enjoyable place to live. Very convenient to grocery stores and banks. Downtown Ocala is not 10 minutes away.
I would highly recommend OTOW to anybody looking for a 55+ community.
- Gary Z.(Resident/Homeowner)|February 14, 2015My husband and I traveled all of Florida, comparing communities, amenities, prices. We realized we needed to generate a list of our priorities: amenities fees, number of amenities, exercise possibilities, life long learning and allowing 2 lap dogs under 15 pounds,insurance prices, maintenance, etc. For those of you who love dogs, you will find a limited number of communities that will allow dogs, let alone two. Armed with our list, we found places, but the purchase prices and amenities fees were very high or they offered very limited amenities.When we came here, however, we found reasonable prices, a beautifully maintained community, a doggy park , life long learning classes, a well equipped rec center, offering not only machines, free weights and classes, but also separate men and women's saunas, whirlpool and steam rooms, along with racquetball, wallyball, etc, dances, Farmer's Market, every club u can imagine and outdoor games such as golf, softball, bocce, horseshoes, remote planes, two wonderful pools and one incredible indoor pool. The list goes on. No, we do not have roaring motorcycles going by nor have we seen any tattooed faces. There are free standing homes with higher price tags and the villas, which leave extra money in your pocket if u want a lower purchase price. We decided to Snowbird and keep our beautiful, lakefront Michigan home, so the villas afforded us this choice. The only complaint we have is the online marketing, which doesn't even mention the villas and obviously is meant to present the community as one of only upscale free standing homes. We were fortunate in having an Ocala based realtor, who showed us the villas in our price range. I doubt we would've known they even existed had we come for their promotional visit. Our villa is 1800 square feet and lovely. Having ten wooded acres back in Mi to maintain, we welcome having our yard maintained through our amenties fee while we kick back with a glass of wine and a good book, or go to classes or events.This place and its villas is a hidden, non advertised gem. We are so happy to have found it.
- Joe N.(Resident/Homeowner)|February 6, 2015This is the place to live if you are looking for an active 55 and over community. You are never too young, I'm 56 and I fit right in.
- David |January 22, 2015I'd like to comment just on the review that said you should only go to On Top of the World if you like "facial tattoos, skull-and-cross bone jackets, and motorcycles with no mufflers roaring by your house."
That statement is entirely, completely, without qualification, a lie. False, without any truth. The rest of his bilious post is false too. He doesn't actually have any knowledge or experience of On Top of the World.
- Drena C.(Resident/Homeowner)|November 5, 2014We wouldn't live anywhere else. I agree with all the positive reviews, I read them all. I don't understand the few cranky grouches who may not have a life. We have a motorcycle that is just as quiet as our car. I have never seen any heavily tatooed, this is a very classy place and I would be proud to invite anyone here. The landscaping is always well manicured, the homes are painted every 6 years in a color of our choice as long as its approved, its quiet and peaceful, there's a park for dog lovers, one side for big dogs and another for the little ones, there's so many amenities here, too many to list. You just have to come and check it out. We are so glad we found this place to retire and spend the rest of our days here and I hope there are many, we've been here 3 years.
- natalie t.(Resident/Homeowner)|October 22, 2014Love it here.Very relaxed feeling and the feeling of being safe. People are very friendly. Wonderful to be near all the shopping and Drs.
- Home O.(Resident/Homeowner)|September 18, 2014In my opinion this is the best bang for the buck in Ocala. The clubs are
numerous and you can be as busy as you want. I bought a house for
a reasonable price with the only problem being the landscaping in the
backyard. I figured I could work with the Master Association to fix
problems and I was willing to spend some money. In my opinion the
landscaping up keep is the worst I have ever seen. I have lived in Condos and HOA'a throughout Florida and again never have seen
this level of indifference. In my opinion this is a good buy but be
aware that landscaping in my opinion, is the worst problem here.
- Sharon C.(Resident/Homeowner)|August 24, 2014I dont think they keep the yards up. Is that because of the heat???
- Very P.(Resident/Homeowner)|August 20, 2014We moved to OTOW from the West Coast and love it. Not all property are leasehold. We own our house and the lot. I have yet to see people with tattoos etc. Yes, there are motorcycles but these a respectable retired people who go on occasional organized bike rides. You will always get complainers wherever you go. We need to stop and smell the roses and appreciate all that OTOW has to offer and it is a lot! We are very pleased to have moved here. We had done extensive research and looked at many retirement communities in three different States before settling here at OTOW. No regrets whatsoever.
- Marilyn (Resident/Homeowner)|July 9, 2014This place is great and not all properties are leasehold. Homes in Candler Hills and Indigo East are freehold homes. We checked out several retirement communities in Central FL and OTOW was by far the BEST. Of course some people are hard to please no matter where they live. You have to check the place out for yourself.
- Mike (Resident/Homeowner)|April 9, 2014I own a single family home in Candler Hills East since 2007. We purchased here because of the rules and supposive wheelchair access. I am confines to a wheelchair and when we first bought I could lift myself from the pool deck back into my chair. Late in 2007 I had heart surgery and am no longer that strong. OTOW provides a lift for the one indoor pool but refuses to add a lift for our outdoor pool. The reason being is TOO EXPENSIVE. So if you are in a wheelchair or consider there may be a chance you may one day be confined......OTOW is not the place to buy.
- Everett D. Rafferty (Resident/Homeowner)|April 3, 2014Quiet, convenient, secure neighborhood with the amenities that suit us. We are very pleased to be a part of the On Top of the World, Florida community.
- Diane (Resident/Homeowner)|February 4, 2014I purchased a villa in 2011 for 72K. I love it! Since we do not own the land, sometimes its a bit discouraging to follow all the HOA rules, but they are there to stop OTOW from becoming a rundown motorhome park. And I agree. OTOW is well maintained: the streets, landscaping, mature trees, all the common areas, the entrances. I proudly bring my out-of-state visitors to my home, and they always comment about how very nice it is. The amenities are next to none. You can participate, or not, as much as you wish. We happen to be motorcycle enthusiasts, and we travel a lot; therefore the maintenance, which is included, is a godsend to us.
I feel the need to say that the motorcyclists currently living in OTOW are very respectful, as we are. Change is hard to handle sometimes, and people 20 years younger than I am are definitely going to have their own ideas, but I find that to be refreshing and just another reason for an HOA to be successful.
- Paul B.(Resident/Homeowner)|August 27, 2013Resident for 1 year. After a year living in OTOW, I feel it is appropriate to insert my review. I honestly believe for the money (purchase price and HOA fee) you could not find a better or more entertaining place to live in central FL. OTOW provides real security and a quiet clean environment. Everything you need is just a golf cart ride away. Activities are limitless in number. My sister came for a visit recently and bought a home within a week. Like me, she appreciated the value she saw here.
- Marylou |August 27, 2013A decade ago, an OTOW villa cost over $100K and were mostly filled with the nicest middle-Americans of the WWII age (the Greatest Generation). Now the villas sell for $50K and the oldsters are dying or leaving for assisted living. They are being replaced by a lower strata of baby boomers (the Me, Me, Me Generation). The newbies drove us crazy before they drove us out. If you are looking for a stable population with any hope of increasing property values, don not look at the leases at OTOW.
- Kathy (Resident/Homeowner)|August 8, 2013Fantastic place! We love all the activies and clubs. This cart friendly community is great. Leave the car in the garage and save gas! It is just a short golf cart drive to the shopping area with groceries, hair, nails, gift shop, post office, diner, barber, dentist, eye exams, doctors ofice and many other places for us when we do not want to drive to far.
The On Top of the World communities are by far the best in the area. It has three nice golf courses if you play golf you will love this. We have lived her for 7 years and this is our second purchase. We wanted to downsize because of health issues and did not want to leave OTOW.
The plus of living here is that we are close to doctores and hospitals. Ocala Fl. has the best hospitals and doctors in Florida!
- Susan (Resident/Homeowner)|July 26, 2013I bought my home here for a very reasonable price. When I retired, the economy wasn't what I had planned for, so I'm very thankful to have a nice, clean home in Florida for a lower cost. The homes are technically on a 99-year lease, but I'm not going to be around in 99 years to worry about it! Love the location, the amenities, and that there are always people around. The only downside is that it's not closer to the beach!
- Mike |July 6, 2013Beware! OTOW used to be nice but now only good marketing masks the rapid slide into a less desirable place to live. Since it is just a lease and you do not own any land or building, you have no control -- the rules are changed arbitrarily and enforced unevenly. As the quality deteriorates, prices have fallen to a level of a mobile home park and is attracting the same type of resident. If you like facial tattoos, skull-and-cross bone jackets, and motorcycles with no mufflers roaring by your house, you'll like OTOW,s new look. Central Florida is a wonderful place to retire. But you'd do well to choose one of the 50 other communities in this former long-time resident's opinion.
- Susan L.(Resident/Homeowner)|June 15, 2013I just bought a cute little 2 bedroom home in OTW Central for under $50k and the monthly dues include all the home and yard maintenance. I wanted something easy for me to maintain so that I could spend more time participating in community events and clubs. I am still a newbie so I haven't even tried out all the amenities yet but I've met a lot of nice people and have felt very welcomed.
The information on this page is aggregated from third-party sources and presented as-is for your convenience. It has not been verified or approved by the developer or homeowners association. 55places.com does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of information or assume any liability for its use. 55places.com is not affiliated with the builder, developer, or HOA of any communities displayed on this website.
55places.com is not affiliated with the developer(s) or homeowners association of On Top of the World. The information you submit is distributed to a 55places.com Partner Agent, who is a licensed real estate agent. The information regarding On Top of the World has not been verified or approved by the developer or homeowners association. Please verify all information prior to purchasing. 55places.com is not responsible for any errors regarding the information displayed on this website.