- Price Range
- Below $100k - Mid $500s
- Home Types
- Attached, Single-Family
- Number of Homes
- Resale Homes Only
- Age Restrictions
- Construction Dates
- 1961 - 2018
- Multiple Builders
- 13 reviews
Sun City Center Overview
Sun City Center is a large active adult community near Tampa, Florida. It is a self-contained village complete with retail establishments, grocery stores, worship centers, and a hospital. Over 11,000 residents enjoy this 55+ community for its reasonably priced homes, great amenities, and an active lifestyle with nearly 200 clubs and interest groups. Located in an unincorporated part of Hillsborough County, 25 miles south of Tampa, FL, there is no government structure at Sun City Center. The community runs solely on volunteers. A membership association comprised of resident volunteers oversee all community amenities. The streets are golf cart permissible meaning residents can access shopping plazas, restaurants, and the amenities via golf carts.
Popular with retirees from across the country, the area enjoys over 300 days of sunshine a year, and a mild three season climate means outdoor activity is possible nearly every day of the year. The community's proximity to Tampa, the Gulf of Mexico, and other notable attractions make it a desirable option for active adults and retirees. Whether your interests include golf and tennis or crafts and cards, the abundance of amenities and lifestyle activities in this community provide the perfect destination for 55+ aged adults who want to get the most out of life.
Sun City Center Amenities
The activity center facilities on the three campuses are owned and managed by a volunteer Community Association Board of Directors elected by the residents. Each resident pays yearly dues for the use and upkeep of the library and buildings that house the many arts, crafts, hobby, and sport clubs. Most houses in the community belong to one of the more than 100 Home Owner Associations that charge a monthly or quarterly fee to cover costs such as lawn care, landscaping, and irrigation. Homes that are not located in a neighborhood association must maintain or pay for those services themselves.
Sun City Center is filled with a vast array of amenities uniquely crafted for active individuals. The community is designed around three amenity campuses that each offer facilities for fitness, social, and hobby activities. The Central Campus includes several buildings and outdoor activity courts. The Atrium at the heart of the Central Campus is the focal point for many community activities. It contains the fitness center, an indoor lap pool, indoor walking and therapy pool, an aerobics and dance studio, card room, computer lab, and large conference center with several meeting rooms. The Old Town Hall in the Central Campus hosts a photography studio, billiard tables, an amateur radio club, and a small theater with stage. The Arts and Crafts Center includes rooms for bunka, stained glass, china painting, weavers looms, shell crafting, lapidary, and sewing.
There are also three regulation size lawn bowling courts, shuffleboard courts, an outdoor pool, library, woodworking shop and ceramics, pottery, and art studios at the Central Campus. The South Campus includes a 10,000 square-foot Community Hall that has a large auditorium with stage. The facility is often used for stage shows, dinners, and dances. There are several outdoor sport courts in the South Campus including four pickleball courts, ten Har-tru tennis courts, two volleyball courts, a softball field, and two dog parks. The West Campus was a recent gift to the community from WCI Communities and includes gardening plots and RV storage.
In addition to the three amenity campuses in the original community neighborhood, there are several other amenity centers in the greater Sun City Center area including clubhouses in Kings Point and Renaissance Club neighborhoods reserved exclusively for residents of those areas. Greater Sun City Center Florida has eight golf courses that host 162-holes of golf. There are both championship and executive courses, and the community is home to the acclaimed Ben Sutton Golf School. Regardless of your skill level, you will surely find a course that provides a fun and exciting golf experience in this active adult community.
Sun City Center Homes & Real Estate
The history of this development is fairly complex. The community was started in 1961 by Del Webb. After a magnificent grand opening, sales eventually slowed to a trickle and in 1972 Del Webb announced they would no longer continue development and sold the remaining undeveloped land. Since then, several new developers have stepped in to fulfill the original dream of the community. Newcomers to the area will find a diverse array of associations and neighborhoods. Greater Sun City Center, FL is an area that encompasses several neighborhoods including the original community along with newer sections like Kings Point and Renaissance.
The largest section of this 55+ community is the original neighborhood built by Del Webb, which contains approximately 6,200 homes and has over 11,000 residents. Kings Point is a large gated neighborhood with approximately 5,300 villas and 9,500 residents. It is adjacent to the original neighborhood and has its own amenities and association. There are also several other neighborhoods including assisted and independent living facilities and Renaissance – the area’s newest enclave of single-family homes. Residents of this community own their own homes and properties.
There is a vast array of housing options in Sun City Center. Since the community started in 1961 there have been countless housing styles and floor plans offered. A majority of the units in the community are single-family homes but there are also duplex villas and condominiums as well. Home prices, styles, and included options vary widely throughout the community. Buyers can choose from older inexpensive villas all the way to stately single-family homes with highly upgraded interiors and golf course views. A majority of real estate is available as resale homes but there are some new construction homes available in both the Kings Point and Renaissance Club neighborhoods.
Sun City Center Lifestyle
The lifestyle offered is scarcely matched by any other active adult community in Florida. There are nearly 200 clubs and interest groups that cater to the residents. Whether you're interested in activities such as sports, cards, arts and crafts, fitness, continuing education, or simply socializing with friends and neighbors, there is something for everyone at this community. A continual assortment of community events, parties, and classes ensures that you can be active 365 days a year.
The community is located 25 miles south of Tampa and is conveniently located near I-75, making trips to surrounding attractions readily accessible. The region is renowned for its beautiful beaches, golf courses, and entertainment. Tampa is home to many cultural venues ranging from art studios to museums. There is plenty of great shopping and dining in the region and there are several professional sports teams that call the Tampa area home.
Residents might find that with everything accessible via golf cart, there are few reasons to leave the community. Most everyday shopping trips to the grocery store, pharmacy, banks, or restaurants can be accomplished without leaving the community. There are four large shopping centers in the community and a super Wal-Mart across the street. There are also ten worship centers in Sun City Center that offer Jewish, Catholic, and Protestant services.
Sun City Center Amenities
Kings Point Clubhouse
The Kings Point Clubhouse is available to all residents of the gated Kings Point neighborhood within Sun City Center. Use of the facilities is included in the monthly homeowner's association fee.
- Clubhouse - 97,000 Sq. Ft.
- Le Perk Cafe
- Fitness Center
- Men's and Women's Sauna & Showers
- Outdoor Resort-Style Pool
- Heated Indoor Pool
- Indoor Whirlpool
- Borini Theatre
- Cyberspace Room
- Atrium Room & Outdoor Open Atrium
- Arts & Crafts Studio
- Model & Hobby Room
- Woodworking Shop
- Lapidary Studio
- Card Room
- Social Rooms
- Billiards Room
- Laundry Room
- Horseshoe Pits
- Floating Fishing Dock
- Internal & External Tram Services and Event Bus
Kings Point South Clubhouse
The Kings Point South Clubhouse is available to all residents of the gated Kings Point neighborhood within Sun City Center. Use of the facilities is included in the monthly homeowner's association fee.
- Clubhouse - 29,000 Sq Ft
- Spa Serenity
- Fitness Center
- Men's and Women's Locker Rooms
- Heated Indoor 4 Lane Lap Pool
- Aerobics Exercise Pool
- Resort-Style Outdoor Pool
- Palm Court Cafe with Outdoor Terrace
- Jubilee Hall Multi-Purpose Room
- Game Room
- Pottery Shoppe
- Stained Glass Studio
- Art Gallery
- Cyberspace Room
- 4 Tennis Courts
- 4 Pickleball Courts
- 44 Lane Shuffleboard Courts
- Dual Half-Court Basketball/Volleyball Court
- Volleyball Court
- 10 Lane Lawn Bowling Greens
Club Renaissance - 43,000 Sq. Ft.
Club Renaissance is a private clubhouse reserved for the residents of the Renaissance community. Residents of this community may optionally join for $2,083 per person per year. This fee does not include golf.
- Club Renaissance - 43,000 Sq. Ft.
- Resort-Style Swimming Pool
- Hot Tub
- Spa Fitness Bar
- Full Service Spa Celeste
- Wellness Center
- Mind & Body Studio
- Bacchus Country Club Fine Dining
- Amici's Casual Dining
- Indoor Walking/Jogging Track
- Wine Cabinet for Club Members
- Golf Pro Shop
Community Association South Campus
The Sun City Community Association South Campus is available to residents of Sun City Center including Kings Point and Renaissance. Use of the South Campus is included in the monthly homeowner's association dues.
- Community Hall
- 10 Tennis Courts
- 4 Pickleball Courts
- 2 Volleyball Courts
- Horseshoe Pits
- Handball Courts
- Softball Field
- 1/2 Basketball Court
- 2 Fenced in Dog Parks
- Walking & Biking Trails
Community Association North Campus
The Sun City Community Association North Campus is available to residents of Sun City Center including Kings Point and Renaissance. Use of the North Campus is included in the monthly homeowner's association dues.
- Heated Indoor Pool
- Heated Outdoor Pool
- Hot Tub
- Heated Indoor Walking Pool
- Steamed Sauna
- Fitness Center
- Dance Studio
- Pottery Room
- Art Studio
- Rollins Theater
- Computer Lab
- Billiards Room
- Shuffleboard Courts
- 3 Lawn Bowling Greens
Sun City Center Clubs, Groups, Activities & Classes
There are plenty of activities available in Sun City Center. Here is a sample of some of the clubs, activities and classes offered here.
- Aerobics - Low Impact Aerobics
- American Association of University Women
- Aquatic Fitness
- Arts and Crafts Clubs
- Art Club
- Audubon Society
- Big Band
- Boom Ba Dance
- Bridge Association
- British Connection
- Bunka - Bunka Arts
- Bunka - Tai-Pan Bunka Club
- Chess Club
- China Painting
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
- Computer Club (PC & Mac)
- Crafts and Things
- Model Yachts
- Ballroom Dance
- Big Band Dance
- Moonglow Dance
- Solo Line Dancing
- Square Dancing
- Tab Dancing
- Dog Owners Group
- Elegant Garden
- Flexercise & Aerobic Dance
- Foxy Seniors Dance Club
- Friends of European Brass
- Florida Senior American Cameo Club
- Fun Squad
- Galaxy Bridge
- German American
- Guild of Technical & Electronic Experimenters
- Hand & Foot
- High Twelve Masonic
- Historical Society of Greater SCC
- Horseshoe Pitching
- Intellectual Information Exchange Club
- International Forum of SCC
- Investment Club
- Lawn Bowling
- Men's Club
- Metaphysical Group
- Minibus Trips
- Model Railroad
- Ladies' Penny Ante
- Men's Poker
- Potters Wheel
- Progressive Bridge
- Recreational Vehicle
- Amateur Radio
- Registered Nurses
- Sawdust Engineers
- Sew 'N Sews
- Stained Glass
- Table Tennis
- Tax Aide
- Tillers & Toilers
- Travel Club
- Unit Presidents Exchange Group (UPEG)
- Weavers Guild
- Weight Control Group
- Women's Club
Verona Collection - Minto
Price Range: High $100s - Low $200s
The Verona Collection offers unique attached home designs that offer 1,503 to 1,862 square feet of living space. They have two bedrooms, two bathroom, and an attached two-car garage.View Floorplans
Renaissance Siena Collection - Minto
Price Range: Low $200s - Mid $400s
Renaissance Siena Collection by Minto offers low-maintenance floor plans ranging from 1,544 to 2,557 square feet of living space. They have two or three bedrooms, two to three-and-a-half bathrooms, and an attached two or three-car garage.View Floorplans
|Model Name||Sq. Ft.||Beds||Baths||Garage|
|York||1544||2 + Den||2||2|
|St. James||1677||2 + Den - 3||2||2|
|Capistrano||1683||2 + Den||2||2|
|Carmel||1879||2 + Den - 3||2||2|
|Laguna||1919||2 + Den||2||2|
|Florence||1984||2 + Den - 4||2.5||2|
|Granada||2043||2 + Den - 3||2.5||2|
|Malibu||2070||2 + Den||2.5||2|
|Palisade||2080||2 + Den||2.5||2|
|Pebble Beach||2284||3 + Den||2.5||2|
|Coronado||2310||2 + Den||2.5||3|
|Montecito||2333||2 + Den||2.5||3|
|Ventura||2387||3 + Den||2.5||2|
|Newport||2438||3 + Den||3||3|
|Solana||2557||3 + Den||3.5||3|
Renaissance Calabria Collection - Minto
Price Range: High $300s - Mid $400s
The Renaissance Calabria Collection by Minto offers three floor plans ranging from 2,878 to 3,086 square feet of living space. These floor plans have at least three bedrooms, three bathrooms, and an attached three-car garage. A screened lanai offers a great place to read the morning paper or entertain guests.View Floorplans
Price Range: Low $100s - Mid $400s
There are numerous builders who have offered hundreds of home styles and floor plans in Sun City Center. Since the community started in 1961 there have been multiple builders. There are over 100 associations in Sun City Center and each offers something slightly different. No floor plans are available for these resale models.
Sun City Center Reviews
- Julie J.|August 19, 2018So far it's been great living here ( 6 months so far). I'm single and 60 and feel at peace and safe in this quaint community. I live on the North side of Sun City Ctr Blvd. I own an older home and find my neighbors friendly ,but not in your business. I am well acquainted with many other communities in the state, and there is nothing like it that I know of. Everyone I talk to, loves it here. The retired golf courses make excellent park like settings to walk, run and ride your golf cart which is a "must have" here. Admittedly, I had reservations about moving here at first, because of the median age, but I feel extremely pleased with my decision to plant myself here and call it home. I have just begun to scratch the surface on all that there is to do here. Well priced real estate and low property taxes make it ideal.
- H S.|August 14, 2018I LIVE HERE RIGHT NOW AND WHILE IT IS AFFORDABLE AND GREAT SECURITY, IT IS A BAD PLACE TO LIVE FOR SINGLE PEOPLE. THIS COMMUNITY IS GEARED FOR MARRIED COUPLES. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CAR, YOU ARE STUCK AT HOME, ESPECIALLY AT DARK WHEN YOU CANNOT DRIVE YOUR GOLF CARTS, WHICH ARE ONLY ALLOWED BETWEEN SUNRISE AND SUNSET. PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION IS ABOUT NON EXISTANT HERE, THOUGH THERE IS A GOOD BUDGET SHOPPING CENTER NEAR BY. I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS PLACE AT ALL IF YOU ARE SINGLE AS IT'S HARD TO MAKE FRIENDS HERE AND YOU WILL BE ALL ALONE, EVEN IF YOU VOLUNTEER AT PLACES HERE. PLEASE DO NOT MOVE HERE. LOOK AT OTHER 55+ PLACES THAT OFFER MORE , HAVE GOOD PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION, AND ARE MUCH MORE WELCOMING! I AM HOPING TO CHECK OUT MARGARITAVILLE IN DAYTONA, FL. AND SOME OTHER PLACES.
- Mara P.|November 20, 2017Good facilities and good People to share Who can speak spanish.
- Melissa (Resident/Homeowner)|November 18, 2016As others stated there are many activities- surely some that will interest anyone if they chose to get out of their home and become involved. Many state SCC is between Sarasota & Tampa however Sarasota is a good 45 minute drive. The best restaurant in town is your kitchen unless you plan to exist on fast food. Big box stores and a mall are in Brandon about 30 minute drive. Lowes hardware is 20 minute drive to Riverview, but we do have Home Depot here. There exist many grouchy residents, they're usually the ones that don't partake in activities and mind everyone's business except their own behavior. The Dog Parks (big and small dog) are infested with disease, so if you have dogs and you want to protect their health, either purchase a home in the older sections where you can erect a fence or drive 10-15 minutes to Ruskin dog park open Thursday-Sunday or drive to Apollo Beach dog park, which is only closed Wednesday mornings for them to mow, about 25 minute drive. If considering an older home be advised many have polybutyl pipes thereby needing the home to be replumbed and older electrical panels which will need to be replaced. Many of these homes have the A/C unit on the roof or in the attic and that I believe is costly to move. The water is very hard to me, however neighbors who are from the midwest think it's fine. I came from an area with soft water and we invested in a whole house water softener plus our home was equipped with a reverse osmosis system on the kitchen sink and refrigerator water line. Many buy bottled water or rely on their refrigerator filter.
- Brenda (Resident/Homeowner)|February 12, 2015I bought a home in Sun City Center in 2006, since my husband and I had not retired, we rented our home out. I rented to Canadians for the winter months.
I love it down there, can't wait till I get to retire and move down there full time. So much to do!
- Hank R.(Resident/Homeowner)|July 13, 2014Could not have hoped for a better place to live. very quiet with many activities.
- Nancy L.(Resident/Homeowner)|February 19, 2014We moved here 4 years ago and love it. There are more clubs with professional teachers than I've seen anywhere. If you don't have friends its because you haven't taken the time to join one of the 100 plus or minus clubs. That's where your friendships come from. Almost every home is neatly trimmed and well kept. Yes, there are a lot of older people who stay in their homes but the community is what YOU make it. Join something and you won't regret it. We love it here
- Rick |September 27, 2013Moved into Sun City May 2010 and moved away 4 months later. Absolutely hated it. It was like living in a cemetery. Apparently most people retired to the inside of their houses! If you are not elderly, active, and don't like your neighborhood to be deathly quiet, don't consider this area. It isn't normal to never see anyone under 55, and to see most people much older than this.
- Roger L.(Resident/Homeowner)|September 18, 2013The neighborhoods are beautiful and very well kept. Sun City Center is large enough to have excellent amenities and plenty of golf opportunities, but not so large as to be overwhelming. The folks here are very friendly and we felt welcome right away.
- Sherry N.|April 3, 2013I am not old enough to live in Sun City Center, but soon will be. I can't wait to be a part of such a great community. I have worked in the area for more than 30 years and almost everyone I speak to absolutely loves living there. The few and that is very few are just not happy people. They are sour individuals and would find fault with all our beautiful sunny days. So my opinion is great people live here and they love it!!!!!!
- R. J.|October 11, 2012The finest retrement living in Florid cn be found in Del Webb's Sun City Center community. Comprised of extremely reasonably-priced homes and condos (constructed from 1961 through 1972), the selection is endless. Some homes are located on the several golf courses which wind through the neighborhoods, others are located on artifcial lakes and golf course water holes, while others are on nice sized lots winding along rewsidential streets. There exists all types of local shopping, finance, real estate, and other retail businesses throughout as well as houses of worship for all. The Central Campus Town Hall has something for everyone including a resort-style outdoor swimming pool, and indoor pool, a 'walking' indoor pool, and many outdoor activites such as shufelboard, etc. There are numerous chartered clubs with facilities in the Campus buildings such as lapidary, sewing, ceramics, woodworking, and many others. Available here is also a complete fitness center and a library. As mentioned, there are several golf courses to choose from and thanks to ths game, the golf cart is daylight-legal on surface streets as an eco-alternative to the automobile. The residents will make any newcomer feel at home here quickly. You may select from spacious single and multi-bedroom condo units and from nicely-sized two bedroom one bath through large three bedroom two bath single-family detached floorplans. Many of the homes have been upgraded and remodeled; others await your selection of these choices, all are extremely affordably priced in every class. The single-family homes have an extremely affordable annual Association fee which includes the amenities noted above; the condos also pay this fee plus an additional HOA fee for grounds maintenance, insurance, etc. Del Webb had a dream of providing 'Active Senior Living' in his Sun Cities developments as fulfilled in Sun City Center, FL.
- Vicki F.(Resident/Homeowner)|June 27, 2012I love it. There is always something to do, and get a calendar or you will always find yourself double booking.
Best news, we are not a CDD. Look it up if you don't know what a CDD is.
- hb |March 5, 2012Just say NO....you DON'T want to move there...don't make a mistake....look elsewhere...
The information on this page is aggregated from third-party sources and presented as-is for your convenience. It has not been verified or approved by the developer or homeowners association. 55places.com does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of information or assume any liability for its use. 55places.com is not affiliated with the builder, developer, or HOA of any communities displayed on this website.
55places.com is not affiliated with the developer(s) or homeowners association of Sun City Center. The information you submit is distributed to a 55places.com Partner Agent, who is a licensed real estate agent. The information regarding Sun City Center has not been verified or approved by the developer or homeowners association. Please verify all information prior to purchasing. 55places.com is not responsible for any errors regarding the information displayed on this website.
This website and the brokerage and/or realty services offered in connection with this site are not affiliated with or endorsed by Minto Communities, LLC or its Affiliates. Sun City Center and logo are trademarks of Minto Communities, LLC and its Affiliates. Sun City Center copyrighted material is the property of Minto Communities, LLC and its Affiliates, and may be used only with prior written permission from Minto Communities, LLC.