- Price Range
- Low $200s - Low $800s
- Home Types
- Attached, Single-Family
- Number of Homes
- Resale Homes Only
- Age Restrictions
- Construction Dates
- 1992 - 2003
- Del Webb
- 14 reviews
Sun City Palm Desert Overview
Del Webb's Sun City Palm Desert is the largest active adult community in the Coachella Valley. This nearly 5,000-home community is the ideal retreat for retirees who want an active lifestyle community in the desert. It boasts a world-class lineup of amenities that includes three clubhouses and a 36-hole championship golf course.
Sun City Palm Desert is a masterfully crafted community that was the result of many years of careful planning. The knowledge and experience Del Webb acquired while building their popular Sun City brands across Arizona in the 1970s and 80s led to a home-run with the opening of Sun City Palm Desert in 1992.
This was the first 55+ active adult community in the Palm Springs area. When it originally opened, the community was known as Sun City Palm Springs. Despite the fact that the community was actually 15 miles east of the city of Palm Springs, the name stuck for many years. As the community neared completion, the residents joined the nearby city of Palm Desert for their postal needs and the community was designated as Sun City Palm Desert.
Sun City Palm Desert Amenities
Spanning 1,600 meticulously planned acres, Sun City Palm Desert is the largest of the 55+ communities in the desert. The community boasts three clubhouses featuring finely appointed amenities that have set the standard for active adult living in the region. It offers an unparalleled lifestyle with a rich lineup of clubs, activities and classes to match the interests of any physically or socially active adult.
The Mountain View Clubhouse is spread across two buildings for a combined size of 77,828 square feet. Indoor amenities include a fitness center, indoor lap pool and spa, the Daily Grind Coffee House, a large computer lab, a post office, ballroom, several meeting rooms, and a pro shop. The Mountain View Clubhouse also includes dining options at the Ventanna Restaurant, which is great for elegant dinners while Papa Dan's at the Vista Grille offers sandwiches and burgers. Outdoors, residents can enjoy the desert climate with an outdoor pool and spa or break a sweat on one of ten tennis or four pickleball courts.
The 25,000 square-foot Sunset View Clubhouse features a library, speaker's hall, aerobics and dance studio, card and meeting rooms, and a billiards hall. The Boulevards Restaurant at the Sunset View Clubhouse offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountains while serving breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week. Outdoors, the Sunset View clubhouse offers an additional outdoor pool, spa and eight bocce ball courts.
The 16,000 square-foot Lakeview Clubhouse was the third amenity complex built in this community. It includes a fitness center, indoor walking track, four meeting rooms, and a library. This clubhouse also features an Olympic-sized outdoor pool and spa as well as being surrounded by scenic ponds.
The two 18-hole championship golf courses at Mountain Vista Golf Club produce an exciting and memorable experience for golfers of all skill levels. Hall of Famer Billy Casper and Greg Nash designed the Santa Rosa and El Gorgonio golf courses. Both courses boast exciting layouts with cascading waterfalls and emerald green fairways adorned with beautiful flowers and towering palm trees. Set amidst the Santa Rosa, San Jacinto and San Gorgonio mountain ranges, the views are truly breathtaking.
Sun City Palm Desert Homes & Real Estate
There are a wide variety of housing styles and sizes in this community to match the preferences and budgets of almost any buyer. The community sold out of new construction homes in 2003 but an ever-changing lineup of pre-owned resale homes are available on the real estate market. Del Webb offered over 40 different floor plans throughout the eleven-year construction of this active adult community. Homebuyers can select from single-family and attached homes that range from 1,000 square-foot one bedroom homes all the way to elegant three bedroom homes that can span 3,200 square-feet. Some of the larger estate homes come with magnificent golf course views.
All homes in this community are one level and include two-car garages with golf cart storage. Upgrades and finishes in the homes range from very basic to highly upgraded homes with granite countertops, gourmet kitchens and spa-like bathrooms.
Sun City Palm Desert Lifestyle
Since opening in 1992, Sun City Palm Desert has grown into an active adult community filled with activities, culture and clubs. There are over 80 different clubs and community interest groups that residents can join. A community activities director and monthly calendar keep the residents up to date with all of the latest news and events offered in the community.
This community features a club, activity or group for virtually every interest. Residents who want to explore other fitness regimens can try aqua Zumba, raja yoga, Tai Chi, or join the desert cyclist group. Meet new neighbors over a game of Mah Jongg, poker, or billiards. Discover a new favorite wine with wine tastings, a terrific read with the book club, or create a gift for the grandchildren with the quilters club. Those who enjoy creative outlets will find like-minded residents in the art club or the writers circle. From racquetball to the rainbow circle, you are sure to find an activity to suit your lifestyle.
Sun City Palm Desert is nestled in the beautiful Coachella Valley, which has been a popular haven for retirees seeking warm weather and 350 days of sunshine a year. The area is home to the renowned tourist haven of Palm Springs that offers a variety of festivals and great shopping, restaurants and casinos. The area also hosts a vast array of outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearby mountains are ideal for hiking, camping and horseback riding. Plus, there are over 200 golf courses in the surrounding area, making it one of the premier golf destinations in the world.
Sun City Palm Desert is centrally located next to San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles and provides endless entertainment. Residents can enjoy day trips at Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear Mountain and local beaches. This community is also conveniently located near world-class shopping, tasteful dining and great medical facilities. Active adults will find that there is so much to do in and around Sun City Palm Desert in Southern California that they will never want to leave.
Sun City Palm Desert Amenities
Below are amenities offered throughout Sun City Palm Desert.
- 2 Paddleball Courts
- Shuffleboard Courts
- Softball Field
- Walking & Biking Trails
- Scenic Ponds
- Tot Lot
- R.V. Parking
Mountain View is the main clubhouse within Sun City Palm Desert. Here, residents can a wide variety of amenities to stay socially and physically active. It is also where residents will find the Mountain Vista Golf Club that offers 36 holes of championship golf among cascading waterfalls and lush landscaping. It is open daily from 7 AM to 10 PM and is located at 38180 Del Webb Boulevard.
- Mountain View Clubhouse - 77,828 Sq. Ft.
- Indoor Lap Pool & Spa
- Fitness Center
- Santa Rosa Pro Shop
- Daily Grind Coffee House
- Martini's Pub
- Papa Dan's Restaurant
- Ventanna Restaurant
- Sierra Ballroom
- San Gorgonio Meeting Room
- San Jacinto Meeting Room
- Santa Rosa Meeting Room
- Ventana Meeting Room
- Saddleback Meeting Room
- Idyllwild Meeting Room
- Whitney Meeting Room
- Shasta Meeting Room
- Card Room
- Computer Lab
- Stained Glass Studio
- Sewing Studio
- Ceramics Studio
- Arts & Crafts Studio
- Woodworking Shop
- Post Office
- 18-Hole Santa Rosa Golf Course
- 18-Hole El Gorgonio Golf Course
- Driving Range
- Outdoor Pool & Spa
- Outdoor Patio
- 10 Tennis Courts
- 4 Pickleball Courts
Sunset View is a beautiful facility that has many meeting rooms and is the perfect place to host a club meeting or party. It is open daily from 7 AM to 10 PM and is located at 36890 Del Webb Boulevard.
- Sunset View Clubhouse - 25,000 Sq. Ft.
- Boulevards Bar & Restaurant
- Aerobics & Dance Studio
- Speakers Hall
- San Gorgonio Pro Shop
- Billiards Room
- Palm Meeting Room
- Oasis Meeting Room
- Canyon Meeting Room
- Outdoor Pool & Spa
- 8 Bocce Ball Courts
- Scenic Ponds
- Fishing Lake
Lake View is a beautiful facility that is the perfect place to stay active and involved in the community. It is open Monday through Saturday from 7 AM to 10 PM and 8 AM to 8 PM on Sunday and is located at 35555 Del Webb Boulevard.
- Lakeview Clubhouse - 16,000 Sq. Ft.
- Fitness Center
- Indoor Walking Track
- Gathering Room
- Tahoe Meeting Room
- Arrowhead Meeting Room
- Silverwood Meeting Room
- Big Bear Meeting Room
- Olympic-sized Outdoor Pool & Spa
- Outdoor Patio
- Scenic Ponds
Sun City Palm Desert Clubs, Groups, Activities & Classes
There are plenty of activities available in Sun City Palm Desert. Here is a sample of some of the clubs, activities and classes offered here.
- AARP Drivers Class
- AARP Tax Aide
- Aging with Confidence
- Airplane Model Flying
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Alzheimers Support
- Aqua Zumba
- Art Club
- Bible Study
- Bocce Ball
- Book Club
- Boomers & Friends
- British Commonwealth & Friends
- BZB's Needlecrafts
- Camera Club
- Canadian Club & Friends
- Car Club
- Catch & Release Fishing
- Chair Yoga
- Compulsive Eaters
- Computer Instruction
- Couples Golf
- Couples Putters
- Crafty Ladies
- Creative Arts
- Democrats in Sun City
- Desert Cyclists
- Desert Dancers
- Dining Out
- Discovery Meditation
- Duplicate Bridge
- Farmers Market
- Food & Wine Connoisseurs
- Friends of Gilda Cancer Support
- Friends of the CV Symphony
- Friendship Church
- Fun City Bowlers
- German Community & Friends
- Gin Rummy
- Grief & Loss
- Hand & Foot
- Health Lecture Series
- Here We Go Travel
- Italian Heritage Group
- Jewelry Club
- Just for Fun
- Ladies 9-Holers golf
- Lady Putters
- Library Group
- Line Dance
- Love to Dance
- Mah Jongg
- Men's Golf
- Men's Niners
- Menz Putterz
- Mexican Train
- Minnesota Memories & Friends
- Model Railroaders of the Desert
- Moonlighters Golf
- Mountain Vista Ladies Golf
- Movie Nights
- Movie-Going & Critiquing
- Music Buffs
- Neighbors 4 Neighbors
- Pacific Northwesterners
- Parents Grief
- Performing Arts
- Pet Lovers
- Ping Pong
- Rainbow Circle
- Raja Yoga
- Red Hats
- Rummy Q
- RV Club
- SCPD Republicans
- Solos Club
- Stained Glass
- Step Aerobics
- Stitch & Sew
- Stroke Survivors
- Sun City Jewish Services
- Sun City Singers
- Tai Chi
- Theatre Club
- Time 'N' Tone Aerobics
- Travel Club
- Trim & Tone
- Weight Circuit Training
- Wine Tasters
- Wood Crafters
- World of Women Charity Fundraising
- Writers Circle
- Yacht Club
Price Range: Low $200s - Low $800s
There are five Terrace plans to choose from available from 1,000 to nearly 2,200 square feet. Homes features one to three bedrooms, one-and-a-half or two bathrooms and an attached garage. With so many choices you are sure to find a plan to suit your lifestyle.View Floorplans
Price Range: Mid $200s - Low $500s
Not too big but not too small is the perfect way to describe the eleven Classic floor plans in Sun City Palm Desert. With two or three bedrooms, one-and-a-half or two bathrooms, and oversized garages, these desirable plans are the perfect fit.View Floorplans
Price Range: Mid $200s - Low $300s
California Casuals are ideal for homeowners who want a single-family home with minimal space. With 1,080 to 1,160 square feet, these unique designs offer comfortable room sizes perfect for couples or singles. These two models have one or two bedrooms, one-and-a-half or two bathrooms and an attached two-car garage.View Floorplans
Price Range: Mid $200s - Low $400s
The Duplex Villas are designed for homeowners who want the ultimate in care-free, turn-key living at Sun City Palm Desert. All exterior home maintenance is maintained by the association. They beautiful homes range in size from 1,174 to 1,766 square feet and feature one to two bedrooms, two bathrooms and an attached two or two-and-a-half-car garage.View Floorplans
Price Range: High $300s - Low $600s
The Premiers homes are terrific for active adults who need some space to spread out and relax or host guests. Homes feature one to three bedrooms, two to three bathrooms and an attached two or two-and-a-half-car garage.View Floorplans
|Model Name||Sq. Ft.||Beds||Baths||Garage|
|Waterford||1319||1 + Den - 2||2||2.5|
|Montego||1852||2 + Den||2||2|
|Fostoria||1582||2 + Den - 3 + Den||2 - 3||2|
|Morocco||1649||2 + Den - 3 + Den||2 - 3||2|
|Lalique||1661||1 + Den - 2||2||2.5|
|Lenox||1722||2 + Den - 3||2||2.5|
|Tangier/Marrakech||1732||2 - 3||2||2.5|
|St. Croix||1995||2 + Den - 3||2||2.5|
|Casablanca/San Carlos||2041||2 + Den - 3||2||2.5|
|Sonora||2068||2 + Den||2||2|
|Victoria||2275||2 + Den||2||2|
|Monterey||2322||2 + Den||2.5||2.5|
Price Range: Mid $300s - Low $800s
For the ultimate in luxury and space, the Estates homes provide plenty of room to entertain guests or host family members for an extended weekend. These luxurious homes offer between 1,975 to over 3,200 square feet of living space with two to three bedrooms, two to three-and-a-half bathrooms, and an attached two-and-a-half-car garage. With a third stall for your golf cart you will enjoy easy trips to the golf course for a round or over to the clubhouse for a casual evening with friends.View Floorplans
|Model Name||Sq. Ft.||Beds||Baths||Garage|
|Emerald||1975||2 + Den - 3||2.5 - 3||2.5|
|Solitaire||2137||2 + Den - 3||2||2.5|
|Marquis||2416||2 + Den - 3||2.5||2.5|
|St. Tropez||2580||2 + Den||2.5||2.5|
|Portofino||2728||2 + Den - 3 + Den||3||2.5|
|Regent||2752||3 + Den||3.5||2.5|
|Marseille||2895||3 + Den||3.5||2.5|
|Tuscany||3146||2 + Den||2.5||2.5|
|Provence||3236||2 + Den||2.5||2.5|
Sun City Palm Desert Reviews
- David A.|December 20, 2019After working for 37 years I finally decided to retire...My husband and I were looking where we wanted to spend our retirement and living in Orange County California we were used to beautiful weather and easy access to everything close by...
So after many many years of debating retirement and moving either to the Big Island of Hawaii and or the Coachella Valley and then months of looking on 55Places and other realtors in both locations we chose Palm Desert Sun City and found the most vibrant beautiful community.....
First we chose it because it is Gorgeous here with 2 golf courses and the mature landscaping in entire community.
They have three clubhouses and they are very nice and well maintained. Country club without the club membership fees. 4 Pools and 3 fitness centers....Bocce and Tennis and Pickle ball.
18 hole putting course that is really fun... plus other putting areas to practice...
Both courses are open to public, there are two restaurants to enjoy that are good....Boulevards and Papa Johns...
You can drive a golf cart all around property and out to the local store. Stater Brothers Walgreens True Value are right next door and accessible thru a resident golf cart gate. ...
We chose this location because as we age we will require more services that the area offers.
First - more medical / transportation / entertainment
Second - wanted a well made home with a yard - which these are. Plenty with views - we wanted a large private yard which we found. Oh and Everything Grows here so you can have a great garden year round.
Third - we wanted a good value and this hit all the buttons..everything other communities offer but much more affordable - it is a larger community so it remains well funded and maintained.
They have a package deal with cable and the electricity is cheaper on this side of the freeway by almost half.
Palm Springs is close and Indian Wells and La Quinta. Freeway access is great.
You can fly out of Palm Springs to Phoenix and Dallas to connect around world...
Direct flights to Toronto/Vancouver also.
We found a remolded home that was affordable and lovely... there is pretty much anything you like in this community...Do you want to remodel one yourself and save there are fixers available ... do you want one already done you can find that...
A Pool/Billiards room with 8/10 tables i forgot to count and a small cocktail lounge ( they need to make that bigger )
Many Social Clubs to join. Farmers markets. Exercise Classes. Tons of activities in the community itself.
You can even see the Development from space - it is that large...
We are very happy here with our choice to move- if your thinking about it come visit SCPD and check it out...I think you will like it we did and love it.
- Roger M.|July 1, 2019It has been four years since my wife and I purchased our home in Sun City Palm Desert. We couldn't be happier with our decision. The amenities available to residents include multiple craft facilities, tennis and pickleball courts, two superb golf courses and a wide variety of social groups. The community is professionally managed, maintains a sound financial structure, and employs a well trained staff who make the grounds and three club houses beautiful. The cost of all these features is remarkably economical. Sun City Palm Desert has one of the lowest HOA fees in the entire Coachella Valley. So, if you are looking for a superior retirement environment, this is the place!
- DJ M.|June 26, 2019While visiting friends who had a home in Sun City in 2015, we were given a tour of the club houses and amenities offered here. It was very appealing, and a no-brainer to move into this well-managed and gorgeous community. My husband has two golf courses to play on and I have every craft and art club imaginable to join. Such friendly folks here.
The HOA's are extremely reasonable. Yes, it gets a bit windy here at times, but I bet you would agree that no place has perfect weather every day of the year. This place is close. I strongly recommend it others to take a serious look at what this fabulous community has to offer.
- Suzanne I.|May 30, 2019Enter through the front guarded gates and prepare to gasp at the cascading waterfalls, perfectly manicured golf courses, flowering bushes, palm trees and colorful beds of blooming plants. The streetscape is always alive with color, and the three clubhouses offer all the fitness and amenities one could ask for. With oodles of social activities and over 80 clubs, there's something here to interest anyone and everyone. Plus the homeowner fees are the lowest in the valley for a 55+ community. Retirement means nothing here--there's so much to do to fill every day.
- Bill J.|January 26, 2019I’ve analyzed many acquisitions so when we decided to look at moving to an active adult community, I did a more in depth analysis than most buyers might do. We had vacationed in the Palm Springs area a few times and I attended several conferences in Palm Springs so we felt we would be happy moving to the greater Palm Springs area although we were most interested in a community near Palm Desert. We talked to Relators and read many reviews and that led us to want to look at Sun City Palm Desert. We managed to visit Sun City Palm Desert (SCPD) twice and fell in love with the beauty, resort style living and all the activities we could engage in, so we decided to rent a home there for the month of February to see if this was the right place for us. I bike and hike and found clubs right in SCPD for both those activities and made new friends doing those. We both swam several times a week alternating between the resort style outdoor pool and the Olympic style indoor pool and we both went skiing at the nearby Big Bear ski resorts which were amazing. My wife joined the Tennis and Pickle ball clubs as well as the art club where she has learned new skills and loved it. We explored Joshua Tree National Park which is not only fantastic to explore but turns out to be a world class rock climbing and bouldering spot where I ended up taking a class, learning something new. We also rented ATVs (dune buggies) and road the giant sand dunes in nearby Glamis after exploring the Salton Sea area. With three casino entertainment venues, the fantastic McCallum theater and many playhouse theaters the amount of entertainment available in the Coachella Valley is amazing. The restaurant options are almost endless and delicious and of course the weather and landscape are what much of the rest of the country dreams of.
When we looked at the cost of selling our home in the Seattle area and buying at SCPD, not only were the homes very reasonably priced but I discovered that SCPD had the lowest property tax bills in the entire Coachella Valley and unlike two other 55+ communities we considered there are no expensive Mello-Roos or Community Facility District fees that I was surprised to learn can add as much as $1,000 a year or more to your property tax bill. Also SCPD has a negotiated premium cable TV and high speed Internet package that saves us over $100 a month from what we were used to paying for an inferior package.
As you may have guessed we really became thrilled with the Sun City Palm Desert life style so we have now bought a home in SCPD and could not be happier.
- David A.|December 29, 2018I moved to this fantastic community a few years ago with some hesitation as I am still working 5 days a week. However not only did I find living here was as enjoyable as staying at a resort, the people I have met have been so friendly and welcoming and with super fast internet, a low cost landline and excellent cell service I am easily able to work from my home office when I want to. SCPD is right off of the I-10 freeway, which makes my commute super easy. The fitness centers, tennis courts and swimming pools are all open late so I can use them when I get back from work. I also take advantage of the 18 hole putting course and occasionally the golf course on my days off. I never thought I’d be able to afford this life style as I approach my retirement, moving to Sun City Palm Desert is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
- Joel E.|December 11, 2018We've been living at this absolutely beautiful resort like community for a number of years, enjoying the friendly people, the unbelievable amount of clubs and activities and the fantastic facilities - swimming pools, hot tubs, fitness centers, tennis & pickle ball courts, golf, you name it, it's here. And on top of all that, I think it's the lowest cost active adult community in the area. We realize every year we couldn't have made a better choice.
- John B.|October 23, 2018Beautiful community with so much to offer! Very nice golf courses and although the clubhouses may be a bit dated, they still provide so many wonderful things for its residents.
- BryanP (Resident/Homeowner)|September 14, 2017Some personalities are suited to this place; some are not. We owned a place there from 2012-16, and I'm very glad we sold and moved to Indian Wells.
Pros: Well maintained common areas, good security, some good clubs, some very nice residents
Cons: Frequent sand storms; had to remove sand yearly. Remote location necessitates long drives to shopping, restaurants, and entertainment. On-site Boulevards restaurant mediocre. HOA-LEC rules very rigid and controlling; many ways to get in trouble from taking your garbage cans out too early the night before, hanging decorative tile on the front of your house, to leaving your garage door open too long. Grand-kid unfriendly; no kids under 4 allowed in pools; only 1 pool open to kids 4-18. Although it is a 55 and over community, the average age is way way above that. Be very careful when being a pedestrian or bicyclist; there are people still driving there that shouldn't be. Repetitive cookie cutter architecture with pretentious facades, jammed on 7,000 sq ft lots with crushed rock (only in HOA approved colors haha!).
- Angel G.(Resident/Homeowner)|August 3, 2017Nice community, just moved 3 months ago, (May 2017). neighbors are very friendly and helpful , price for this area is great and as a big community, always we may find things we don't agree with it.
Enjoy your new friends
- Sue A.(Resident/Homeowner)|June 6, 2015I love it here! I've been researching 55+ communities for several years and feel very confident that I chose the best. I wanted a community that was built by Del Webb, not Pulte Homes who bought them out. There's a difference in quality and management. The amenities are beautiful and very well-kept, and there are so many clubs and activities to choose from. I love that the facilities are open until 11 PM because I still work full-time and can only use them in the evening. I just turned 55 so am on the young end of the spectrum, but feel very comfortable (and safe) here. My home is absolutely lovely and the people have been more than friendly. I invite other 50-somethings and early 60-somethings to consider Sun City Palm Desert.
- Mindy S.(Resident/Homeowner)|June 16, 2014Wonderful community but the problem is the Sun City people who man the Lifestyle Enhancement Committee (LEC) and the Architectural Committee. They are people who like having power and by and large they are very hard to work with. We have had outdoor wall art up for seven years than all of the sudden they tell you to take it down it isn't to code. We did a remodel and the person we were forced to get approval from was like the Soup Nazi from Jerry Seinfeld. If you don't mind dealing with community associations that are not easy to deal with than Sun City is a great community.
- Bill H.(Resident/Homeowner)|September 8, 2013Sun City PD. has around 5,000 homes, which allows the community to be gated, and properly cared for with relatively modest HOA fees. The 2 golf courses plus many pools and other activities, means everyone is able to find an outlet to enjoy. It is handy to shopping, and there is easy access to basics on a golf cart that is street legal.
The homes were built from 1992 to 2002 , but have large rooms, and good sized lots to allow for privacy, but still be close to neighbours. People looking for a second home or retirement in a secure area should check out the community web site and download the community news letter to see what it's all about.
- Susan L.(Resident/Homeowner)|May 20, 2013This community is really top-notch. I like the fact that it's all homes, no condos or townhomes here. It's better for resale value. My wife and I moved in about a year ago and got a really great deal for a very nice home under $200,000. I've already noticed prices are starting to go up so I'm glad we bought when we did.
The information on this page is aggregated from third-party sources and presented as-is for your convenience. It has not been verified or approved by the developer or homeowners association. 55places.com does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of information or assume any liability for its use. 55places.com is not affiliated with the builder, developer, or HOA of any communities displayed on this website.
55places.com is not affiliated with the developer(s) or homeowners association of Sun City Palm Desert. The information you submit is distributed to a 55places.com Partner Agent, who is a licensed real estate agent. The information regarding Sun City Palm Desert has not been verified or approved by the developer or homeowners association. Please verify all information prior to purchasing. 55places.com is not responsible for any errors regarding the information displayed on this website.