What Are the Age Requirements for a 55+ Community?

Can you spot the $207,744 difference between these identical homes?

Financing is the difference!

Get the details in The 62+ Loan Homebuyers Guide.

55places Mortgage is a joint venture between Mutual of Omaha Mortgage and 55places.com.
Details here.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get Weekly Updates

I agree that 55places and its affiliates, partner providers or agents may call, text, or email me about my inquiry, which may be made with automated means. I understand that my consent is not a prerequisite for buying a property. I may revoke my consent at any time by contacting optout@55places.com. Message/data rates may apply. I also agree to 55places.com’s Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

A smiling group of seniors pose for a photo at a 55+ community.
Do you have to be over 55 to enjoy a 55+ community?
For many, the answer to “What are the age requirements for a 55+ community?” may seem obvious. You have to be 55 or older, right? No, that’s not always the case. In fact, there are many scenarios where there’s only one resident who is 55 or older. Also, there are rare cases when no residents is 55 or older.  According to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, under the 80/20 rule, the law does require a 55+ community to fill at least 80 percent of units with residents 55+. However, the community has individual leeway to decide what they want to do with the other 20 percent. This could mean reducing the age requirement to 45 for the next 20 percent of residents. Or it could allow grandparents to care for grandchildren (both temporarily or long-term).  Here is everything you need to know about age requirements for 55+ communities while searching for the right one for you. 

Age Requirements for 55+ Communities

middle-aged-mum-and-grown-daughter First and foremost, not every rule and regulation for 55+ communities will be enforced in every community unless it is required by law. For instance, some communities will turn you away if you have minors in your household. Others will allow it as long as they follow community guidelines. Never buy or rent a home in a 55+ community without being familiar with all of their policies—especially those that pertain to age requirements and limitations.

A Deeper Dive Into the 80/20 Rule

As noted, it’s up to the community whether they allow you to live there under 55 after having an 80 percent 55+ occupancy rate. However, it should also be noted that they’re still required to have the intent to house 55+ residents. This includes conveying intent through their marketing, policies and regulations, practices, age verification procedures, etc.  The concept behind the rule is to protect those under 55 with a spouse 55 or older who passed away. If the 80/20 rule were not in place, the partner under 55 would be vulnerable to losing their home.   The community is designed specifically for 55+ residents. So it’s unlikely you’ll find one that just lets anyone, at any age, reside in one of their homes. It should also be noted that if you do move in with no members 55 or older, the community can require you to leave if the 80 percent occupancy rate is at risk. This can happen if some 55+ residents leave or pass away (this should be explained in contracts). That said, no 55 or older community is required to let residents under 55 move in. While they have leeway with the other 20 percent, most will enforce higher occupancy rates—often 100 percent. 

FAQ About Age-Requirements

happy-senior-couple-walking-forest Circumstances can vary depending on the age in question. Here are answers to some not-so-obvious questions many people have about age requirements in 55+ communities. 

What if my spouse is not 55?

The law requires that at least one person in each household is 55 or older. If your spouse or partner is not 55, but you are, then you qualify for a home in a 55+ community. That said, some communities still have a limitation on how young your spouse or partner can be, with the most common age restriction being 40 or older. 

What if my child/grandchild stays with me for a while?

Most 55 and older communities welcome grandchildren visiting their grandparents as long as they follow the rules and regulations. After all, most residents in a 55+ community are grandparents who enjoy visits from family. The limit on how long they can visit depends on the community and will vary. 

Can a minor live with me?

It’s not common that a 55+ community will allow children—including grandchildren—to live with residents in their community. This is because it can be difficult to adhere to the needs of 55+ residents looking for peace and quiet while also allowing minors to live within the community. Nonetheless, it’s not illegal, so there are a few communities that accept homebuyers and renters with minors. If you’re 55 or older with minors. We recommend asking about their policy for children before falling in love with the community’s amenities and resources. 

Can my adult children live with me?

There are also cases where adults 55 and older are either taking care of their children or being taken care of by their children. In these cases, it’s common for 55+ communities to allow residents to be under 55, as long as at least one household member is 55+. That said, their children are often required to be an adult 18 or older. Some communities may even require that your child be older, with higher minimum age requirements for household members. Consult potential communities about their age-related policies before committing to a home to buy or rent. 

Where Do I Begin My Research?

As Simon Sinek once said, “The hardest part is getting started. Once you get that out of the way, you’ll find the rest of the journey is much easier.” The same applies to finding the perfect 55+ community to fit your needs and family circumstances. By going to 55places, you save yourself the hassle of searching through Google for answers and only finding a handful of options. 55places will connect you with 55+ communities all over the U.S. so you can consider all your options in one place. It’s easy to get started!

Can you spot the $207,744 difference between these identical homes?

Financing is the difference!

Get the details in The 62+ Loan Homebuyers Guide.

55places Mortgage is a joint venture between Mutual of Omaha Mortgage and 55places.com.
Details here.

We're here to help! (800) 928-2055

Call us to speak with a customer service representative.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get Weekly Updates

I agree that 55places and its affiliates, partner providers or agents may call, text, or email me about my inquiry, which may be made with automated means. I understand that my consent is not a prerequisite for buying a property. I may revoke my consent at any time by contacting optout@55places.com. Message/data rates may apply. I also agree to 55places.com’s Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

The Best Communities in Texas for Snowbirds

There are many good reasons to retire in Texas, but if you’re only looking to spend the winters in the Lone Star State, you’ll still find plenty of options. Texas is home to dozens of active adult communities that appeal to snowbirds. Read on for some ideal active adult communities for snowbirds to make their roost in Texas.

Aerial view of the amenities at Frisco Lakes in Frisco, Texas.

Exploring Del Webb Communities in Texas

When retirees and active adult homebuyers explore a Del Webb community, they have come to expect world-class amenities, a vibrant culture, and exquisite homes. Retirees who want to downsize from their family home in Texas or move to the Lone Star State can explore half a dozen Del Webb communities throughout Texas.

Popular 55+ Havens: Gated Communities Near Houston, TX

Many active adults looking for Texas homes for sale in Space City have their sights set on gated 55+ communities. If you want to learn more about gated 55+ communities in the Houston area, we’ve highlighted six popular communities that provide easy access to the city as well as all the benefits of living in a gated neighborhood.

Moving to Texas? Everything Retirees Need to Know

The Lone Star State offers a way of life that’s as vast and varied as the state itself. Whether you have your suitcase packed or you’re just beginning your research, we’ve compiled this handy guide of everything you need to know about moving to Texas.

Twilight view of Downtown Houston, a good place to retire.

Is Houston a Good Place to Retire? Discovering a Texas Retirement Haven

Retirees looking for homes for sale in Texas will find that this vibrant city has much to offer. Whether you’re thinking of moving to Houston to live near family or you simply want a change of pace, active adults can explore multiple active lifestyle communities in H-town. Read on for five reasons to retire in Houston.

The outdoor patio at Heathergate at Oxford Valley in Langhorne, Pennsylvania.

New Active Adult Communities Added to 55places.com

In this comprehensive roundup, we bring you the latest additions to 55places.com—a trusted resource for exploring active adult communities. Over the past 30 days, several new communities have joined the ranks, each offering different amenities and locations.

About 55places

We’re changing the way people 55 and older are searching for their perfect next place. With a national network of hand-selected real estate experts, plus comprehensive information, unbiased content, and on-the-go insight about thousands of communities across the country, we’re a trusted resource paving the way from here to home. Whether you’re interested in a low-maintenance single-level residence, an active lifestyle or age-qualified community, an intimate enclave, or anything in between, we can help you make your next move the best one yet.

Scroll to Top