NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: This Campaign is open only to those who sign up and who are 21 years of age or older as of the date of entry.The Campaign is only open to legal residents of The United States, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of 55places.com, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of Neighborhoods.com, LLC as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
3. Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on June 07, 2017 at 12:00 AM CST and ending June 30, 2017 at 11:59 PM CST. All online entries must be received by June 30, 2017 at 11:59 CST.
4. How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered by submitting an entry using the online form provided at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3BD93NC. The entry must fulfill all campaign requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of 55places.com. You must provide the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. You may only enter using the Gleam app entry methods available. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of 55places.com.
5. Prizes: The Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive an Apple iPad with a retail value of approximately $329.99. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by 55places.com. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted except at 55places.com's discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for 55places.com to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner Selection and Notification: Winner will be selected by a random drawing under the supervision of 55places.com. Winner will be notified by email within five (5) days following selection of Winner. 55places.com shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 14 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT 55PLACES.COM‘S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by You: By entering this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that 55places.com, anyone acting on behalf of 55places.com, and 55places.com’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent.
9. Terms & Conditions: 55places.com reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond 55places.com’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, 55places.com may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by 55places.com. 55places.com reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. 55places.com has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, 55places.com reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless 55places.com and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS CAMPAIGN IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND ILLINOIS, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Illinois having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
13. Winners List: To obtain a copy of the Winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: 55 Places, LLC, 1525 W. Homer Street Suite 301, Chicago, Illinois, 60642, U.S. Requests must be received no later than July 12, 2017.
14. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Campaign is Neighborhoods.com, LLC, 1525 W. Homer Street Suite 301, Chicago, Illinois, 60642, U.S.
15. Facebook: The Campaign hosted by 55places.com is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook.
16. Write-in Entry: You may write in one entry at the address below. Sweepstakes eligibility will be determined by the date the write-in entry is received. We do not accept entries from third parties.
1525 W Homer St.
Chicago, IL 60613
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram, Facebook, or MailChimp.
If you seek the soft whisper of tree leaves in gentle Atlantic breezes, white sandy beaches, legendary golf greens, and small-town Southern charm, look no further than Hilton Head, South Carolina. From miles of private wooded walks to an active cultural scene, Hilton Head has all the amenities of a city ten times its size, without losing its stress-free laidback lifestyle. The low South Carolina taxes and exceptional senior tax breaks are just the icing on the cake.
Long known as a beautiful vacation spot, Hilton Head is beginning to be discovered by active adults as a desirable retirement destination. Great weather, proximity to the ocean and a welcome escape from more crowded areas along the east coast have made this region particularly appealing for retirement-aged individuals. There are numerous desirable lifestyle communities in Hilton Head and the surrounding area that include active adult communities, golf course communities, gated communities and waterfront communities. With so many active retirement options to choose from, you are certain to find one that is absolutely perfect for you.
Retirement Real Estate & Hilton Head Active Adult Communities
The gentle climate, sun-washed sands, and many sports and cultural activities provide an ideal setting for active retirement communities in Hilton Head. Single family homes, condominiums, and villas can be either purchased or rented. Since Hilton Head is also a popular tourist destination which brings in over 300,000 visitors a year, a few active adult communities also permit weekly rentals. These Hilton Head retirement communities are more crowded during the high tourist season and tend to be more tourist-oriented overall.
On the South Carolina coastal mainland, just 13 miles from the bridge, lies the age-restricted community of Del Webb Sun City Hilton Head, which is by far the largest and most popular active adult community in Hilton Head. It includes 8,200 homes for active adults 55 years of age and older, located on over 4,000 acres of beautiful South Carolina countryside. Residence choices range from intimate villas to 4,000 square foot custom-built homes, many with natural vistas or looking out on one of the two championship on-site golf courses. Other amenities include indoor and outdoor swimming pools, 16 clay tennis courts, a 20 acre fishing lake, performing arts center, fitness facilities and miles of private walking and biking trails.
The Town Square at Sun City Hilton Head features 45 acres of social and cultural amenities, including a 17,000 square foot social hall which is home to lectures, workshops, dances, concerts, and a 540-seat performing arts center. State-of-the-art fitness equipment can be found at the Purrysburg Fitness Center, while at the Yemasee Crafts Center, studio space is available for woodworking, ceramics, and other arts and crafts.
Many of the Hilton Head active adult communities are gated complexes. There are also many communities that are very popular among retirees that have no age-restriction at all. Most offer amenities ranging from on-site golf courses to private beaches. Before deciding on a Hilton Head retirement community, it is advisable to identify personal needs and wishes such as type of dwelling and desired on-site amenities.
Climate & Geography
Atlantic breezes give the Hilton Head region of South Carolina its gentle winters and warm, humid summers. Most months see at least 3 inches of rain, more during the summer. It is common for summer daytime temperatures to reach 90 degrees, perfect weather for enjoying one of Hilton Heads many beaches. Although winter temperatures can drop below freezing, the last time it snowed in Hilton Head was in 1990.
On the coastal mainland, unspoiled sea marshes give way to the tall pines and ancient oaks of South Carolinas renowned forests. As a result, the mild marine climate in this part of South Carolina becomes a bit more tropical, with average yearly temperatures in the 70s.
Recreation, Social & Culture
The Old South has long been famous for its golf courses, and some of the best are in the Hilton Head region. Over 40 premier golf courses, many designed by PGA professionals, can be found within a few short miles of Hilton Head’s active adult communities. Other popular outdoor activities include tennis, hiking, and some of the best fishing around.
Sun worshippers will appreciate the soft sun-drenched beaches of Hilton Head. On a different day, enjoy shopping and dining at the Okatie Center, just a short trip by golf cart from Hilton Heads active adult communities, or let the soothing waters of the Atlantic Ocean calm your soul as you watch the dolphins feed and frolic in the waters around Hilton Head Island.
Hilton Head Island is home to dozens of cultural events, resources, and organizations, including its own seniors club, SHARE, which organizes social activities from bicycle clubs to computer classes. Whether you wish to attend the concerts of the Hilton Head Symphonic Orchestra, become part of a 120 choral society, or take in the history of the Old South at the Coastal Discovery Museum, Hilton Head is sure to have something to fit your taste exactly.
Cost of Living & Taxes
The cost of living on Hilton Head Island is much higher than the national average, with a Sperlings Cost Of Living of 165, which is 65% above the national average. Further inland, prices are more reasonable. As a whole, Beaufort Countys cost of living is roughly 20% above the average. This is mostly due to the higher costs of rental housing in this popular snowbird region. With the recent correction in the housing market, purchasing real estate in Hilton Head age-restricted communities has become much more affordable.
South Carolina levies some of the lowest overall tax burdens of any state in the country, making Hilton Head among the best tax havens in the United States for retirees. State income tax brackets range from 2.5% to 7%. However, South Carolina allows a retirement income deduction of $10,000 per resident as well as an age deduction of up to $15,000 for residents over 65 years of age, creating an effective 0% tax bracket for low income seniors. Social security benefits are entirely exempt, as is income earned out of state.
Beaufort County real estate property is taxed at 4% of appraised value on a primary residence, the second lowest tax rate among South Carolina retirement destinations. Taxes are based on an appraised value approximately 75% of the propertys actual value, further discounted by a $20,000 homestead exemption for residents 65 and older. South Carolina has no inheritance tax. Its estate taxes are tied to federal estate tax legislation, which is currently due to be reinstated in 2011. Complete up to date information can be obtained at the South Carolina Department of Revenue website.
Healthcare & Education
The laid-back lifestyle of the region is just part of why the quality of life in these Hilton Head active retirement communities is among the best in the United States. This small island of 33,000 permanent residents boasts its own hospital, Hilton Head Regional Medical Center, one of the top 100 hospitals in the country for treatment and management of strokes. In case of life-threatening emergency, Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah is just minutes away by air.
Sun City Hilton Head is home to over 200 chartered clubs and other organizations. The nearby New River Campus of the University of South Carolina offers both credit and non-credit continuing education courses for active adults, with tuition waived for seniors 65 years of age and older.
Share this page with friends and family!