55 Places Blog

icon post

Latest Posts

National Heart Month: What You Need to Know

by Mayra Rocha on No Comments

Heart Health Month

February is National Heart Month and our friends at Bankers Healthcare Group are raising awareness about cardiovascular disease via their “Take Charge” initiative. Cardiovascular disease is the number one cause of death among men and women in the U.S. Studies also show that heart disease and stroke cause one in three deaths among women each year.

read more

What Is the 80/20 Rule in Active Adult Communities?

by Elliot Crumpley on 1 Comment

55 and over community rules 55places.com

While researching the perfect 55+ community, you may have come across the statement that 80% of the units must be occupied by at least one person who is 55 years of age or older. Why 80%? What happens with the other 20%? Are there any exceptions to this rule?

read more

Battle of Retirement Locations: Colorado vs. Utah

by Mayra Rocha on No Comments

Retirement Locations 55places.com

Forget about Florida or California as your ideal retirement location. Colorado and Utah are great states for retirement. Both states have been highly ranked as some of the best places to retire over the years due to their high quality healthcare and low crime rates. These mountain states are also home to a variety of active adult communities that cater to the Baby Boomer lifestyle.

read more

5 Reasons It’s Exciting to Be Over 55

by Elliot Crumpley on No Comments

5 Perks of Being 55 55places.com

There are several reasons to look forward to reaching 55. It’s a major milestone and many adults report being happier the closer they get to retirement age (although, we think, a lot of that has to do with being able to move into an active adult community). After all, there is a reason we call this stage in life “the golden years.”

read more

Affordable Country Club Living in Florida

by Elliot Crumpley on 8 Comments

Retiring in Florida wouldn’t be complete without the state’s famed vibrant and lush landscapes. In Heritage Springs, a 55+ community, you can barely get away from it; it surrounds you whether you’re playing a game of bocce ball, a round of golf, or simply enjoying a low-key stroll through the neighborhood.

read more

Changes to Expect in Social Security This Year

by Mayra Rocha on 3 Comments

Retirees may be more concerned about the future of Social Security due to the Baby Boomer population drawing benefits larger than the program’s incoming funds. If you are a retiree or are close to retiring then read about some of the changes you can expect in Social Security for 2016.

read more

Six Superb Small 55+ Communities in Arizona

by Mayra Rocha on 2 Comments

Retirees who value a close-knit neighborhood setting but don’t want to sacrifice great amenities and social lifestyle should consider a smaller 55+ community in Arizona. Baby Boomers can choose from a variety of small active adult neighborhoods with less than 500 residences in Arizona. They’re smaller in size than large 1,000-home communities but still have well-appointed clubhouses and plenty of social activities that keep residents busy all year long. So if you prefer to live in a less crowded environment that offers a small town vibe where neighbors become lifelong friends, then check out these six small 55+ communities in Arizona.

read more

Trilogy by Shea Homes Wins America’s Most Trusted Active Resort Builder

by Elliot Crumpley on 1 Comment

Since 1999, Trilogy by Shea Homes has impressed active adult homebuyers with their resort-style communities that are brimming with amenities and luxurious homes. Shea Homes’ unique approach to developing 55+ neighborhoods has led them to several awards including a J.D. Power Customer Service Champion in 2012 and a collection of Best of Houzz awards for their design and customer service.

read more

Affordable Retirement Living in SoCal Does Exist!

by Elliot Crumpley on 6 Comments

The dream of California living is assumed to be out of reach for many impending retirees. Horror stories of high taxes, housing prices that border on fantasy, and traffic that seems to stretch as far as the state is enough to send active adult homebuyers scrambling to Florida.

read more

Taylor Morrison Plans a Second 55+ Community Near Houston

by Mayra Rocha on 3 Comments

Bonterra at Cross Creek Ranch is Taylor Morrison’s newest 55+ community coming to the Houston area this year. This amazing age-restricted neighborhood in Texas will have everything Baby Boomers could want or need. Taylor Morrison promotes a welcoming and vibrant lifestyle where residents will thrive in a social setting while living comfortably with like-minded neighbors and friends. This well-known homebuilder will bring their exceptional home designs and private world-class amenities that will make Bonterra at Cross Creek Ranch the ideal destination for retirement in Coastal Texas.

read more

Available States (Click a state to view all communities)