NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: This Campaign is open only to those who sign up and who are 21 years of age or older as of the date of entry.The Campaign is only open to legal residents of The United States, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of 55places.com, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of Neighborhoods.com, LLC as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
3. Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on June 07, 2017 at 12:00 AM CST and ending June 30, 2017 at 11:59 PM CST. All online entries must be received by June 30, 2017 at 11:59 CST.
4. How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered by submitting an entry using the online form provided at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3BD93NC. The entry must fulfill all campaign requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of 55places.com. You must provide the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. You may only enter using the Gleam app entry methods available. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of 55places.com.
5. Prizes: The Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive an Apple iPad with a retail value of approximately $329.99. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by 55places.com. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted except at 55places.com's discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for 55places.com to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner Selection and Notification: Winner will be selected by a random drawing under the supervision of 55places.com. Winner will be notified by email within five (5) days following selection of Winner. 55places.com shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 14 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT 55PLACES.COM‘S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by You: By entering this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that 55places.com, anyone acting on behalf of 55places.com, and 55places.com’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent.
9. Terms & Conditions: 55places.com reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond 55places.com’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, 55places.com may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by 55places.com. 55places.com reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. 55places.com has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, 55places.com reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless 55places.com and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS CAMPAIGN IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND ILLINOIS, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Illinois having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
13. Winners List: To obtain a copy of the Winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: 55 Places, LLC, 1525 W. Homer Street Suite 301, Chicago, Illinois, 60642, U.S. Requests must be received no later than July 12, 2017.
14. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Campaign is Neighborhoods.com, LLC, 1525 W. Homer Street Suite 301, Chicago, Illinois, 60642, U.S.
15. Facebook: The Campaign hosted by 55places.com is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook.
16. Write-in Entry: You may write in one entry at the address below. Sweepstakes eligibility will be determined by the date the write-in entry is received. We do not accept entries from third parties.
1525 W Homer St.
Chicago, IL 60613
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram, Facebook, or MailChimp.
From warm desert breezes to crisp blue alpine skies and lively urban centers to quiet golfing communities by the sea, there are few places on earth so perfect for active adults and retirees as Southern California. The shores of the Pacific Ocean enjoy a pleasant Mediterranean climate, while deeper in the desert, Palm Desert and Palm Springs offer uninterrupted sunshine year round. For those who miss having seasons, the heights of the Sierra Nevada offer the perfect amount of snow without ever once having to shovel it.
With its warm temperatures, sun-washed sands, abundance of golf courses, varied terrain and lively urban centers, Southern California is one of the most popular retirement destinations for active adults. There are several dozen notable active adult retirement communities in Southern California. From intimate retreats in the desert to luxurious resorts and everything in between, there is most likely a 55+ retirement community that offers the homes, amenities, location or lifestyle you desire.
Climate & Geography
Although Southern California has a wide range of climates, winter temperatures are generally mild, with temperatures rarely dipping below freezing, while summers are often hot. Most SoCal coastal areas have a Mediterranean climate, with rainy winters and hot, dry summers. Areas closer to the ocean vary less in temperature than areas farther away, with the cool California currents helping to moderate temperatures. Along the west side of the Sierra Nevada and in the Tehachapi mountains, summer temperatures stay in the mid 70s, while winter daytime temperatures average in the 60s. Higher altitudes in the Sierra Nevada are snowier and much colder, with even summer temperatures averaging as low as 42 degrees.
The east side of the coastal mountain ranges is much hotter and drier than areas closer to the coast or higher in the mountains. Summer daytime temperatures in the Mojave Desert and even in the San Joaquin Valley often exceed 100 degrees. During temperature inversions, air quality is a concern in San Bernardino and the Inland Empire. The autumn Santa Ana winds which sweep through this area all the way to the Pacific Ocean are extremely hot and dry, but they do clean out the air.
Recreation, Culture & Entertainment
Southern California is an ideal destination for retirees who want an active adult lifestyle. Whether your passions include sports and outdoor recreation or visiting social and culture venues, there is something for everyone. Los Angeles is a cultural, entertainment, and sports mecca. In cities such as San Luis and San Diego, outdoor markets and shopping complexes abound. The deep canyons and hills of San Diego also create many pockets of natural parkland and microclimates, so that a cool escape during sweltering summer heat is always close at hand.
Protected natural areas in the Sierra Nevada and along the coastline offer a quiet escape for hiking and birdwatching; while other naturally air-conditioned active adult communities around the Sierra Nevada are designed around golf courses and other recreational amenities. Serious golfers can enjoy some of the finest golf in the world on any of the 100 plus courses around the Palm Springs area.
Southern California is one of the few places in the entire country where it is possible to ski on fresh snow in the morning, then drive an hour to enjoy a round of golf in short sleeves in the afternoon. Beach lovers can enjoy miles of white sand beaches ideal for swimming, surfing or simply relaxing. Despite its overall diversity, different regions of Southern California will suit certain lifestyles better than others. It is a good idea to research and visit before committing to a move.
Cost of Living & Taxes
The cost of living in Southern California is higher than the national average, driven by the cost of housing, taxes and utilities. However, with the recent correction in the housing market, all types of real estate in age-restricted communities have become much more affordable.
Taxes in California vary considerably based on income level and property location, as well as by city and county. There are 6 state tax brackets, with the lowest being 1 percent and the highest 9.3 percent. Social security benefits are exempt but pensions are not. The state tax rate is 7.25 percent, to which some counties and cities add their own taxes. Property taxes typically range from 1 to 1.3 percent of the home's value. Because property taxes are calculated based on the home's fair market value at the time of purchase and is not affected by any rise in real property values, now is an excellent time to consider a move to one of Southern California s active retirement communities. Active adults and retires benefit from the fact that California has no estate, inheritance, or gift tax.
The quality of life Southern California residents enjoy is among the best in the United States. The geography and climate of Southern California promote a healthy and active adult lifestyle which can be as slow or fast-paced as you prefer. Many Southern California retirement communities are situated so as to be close to spectacular natural scenery and retreats without compromising proximity to urban amenities. The high level of urbanization and sophisticated traffic network mean that high quality healthcare is never far away.
Share this page with friends and family!