- Price Range
- Mid $100s - Mid $200s
- Home Types
- Number of Homes
- Resale Homes Only
- Age Restrictions
- Construction Dates
- 1986 - 1997
- 6 reviews
Surrey Downs Overview
Surrey Downs is an affordable active adult community located on the northern end of Howell, on the Freehold Township border in Monmouth County, New Jersey. It is perfect for active retirees looking to downsize while remaining close to friends and family. The community is comprised of 443 homes available on a resale basis.
A clubhouse and community manager are part of the amenities offered at Surrey Downs. In addition, Surrey Downs offers bus service to shopping venues and the Howell Senior Center, as well as transportation service to local medical centers and hospitals in Monmouth County. A Saturday shuttle to other 55+ communities is available as well. Residents also have easy access to off-site transportation routes and the Jersey Shore.
Surrey Downs Amenities
The clubhouse offers residents many opportunities to stay healthy and fit as well as a place to relax and socialize. Residents can work out by themselves or in groups at the well-equipped fitness center, complete with indoor Jacuzzi for replenishment after an invigorating workout. The spacious great room holds 300 and includes a kitchen. It serves nicely as a ballroom, as well as a gathering place for smaller social functions of all types. The clubhouse also hosts a card room, billiards tables, and a library.
Outdoors, residents can stay active on the tennis courts or by playing bocce ball or shuffleboard. There is also a large outdoor pool perfect for cooling off during hot summer days.
Surrey Downs Homes & Real Estate
Construction began in 1986 and was completed in 1997 with 443 residences. There are a total of 13 different models ranging in sizes from 760 to 1,383 square feet. All have two bedrooms and either one or two bathrooms. Most models have garages and some have lofts. The larger models even have two master bedrooms. Some other desirable features of the residences in Surrey Downs include formal dining rooms, Florida rooms, upgraded kitchens and appliance packages, thermal windows, patios, enclosed porches, decks, and storm doors.
The monthly association fees include common area maintenance, community bus, pool, clubhouse, lawn care, landscaping for the front of the house, snow removal, garbage, and recycling. Residents are responsible for maintaining the exteriors of their homes, which keeps the maintenance fees low.
Surrey Downs Lifestyle
This is a perfect community for active retirees looking to downsize without sacrificing comfort. Residents have plenty of opportunities for fitness and fun activities. A community manager handles planning of social events and trips. Some popular activities and social events include cards, bingo, Scrabble, ceramics, tennis, travel club and much more. Although this is an established community, new residents are always welcomed with open arms and encouraged to participate in the various existing social clubs and interest groups.
Surrey Downs at Freehold is located approximately one mile east of Route 9. Residents can easily walk to Dunkin Donuts, Walgreens Pharmacy, and a food market. Also nearby are the Freehold Mall, Centre State Hospital, and Battleground State Park. Beach and sun lovers will also enjoy living in close proximity to the Jersey Shore.
Atlantic City, Philadelphia, and New York City are all easily accessible and make great destinations for day trips. All three cities also have international airports if residents want to travel a long distance. On-site, residents can utilize the community transportation service to run errands, go shopping, or for medical care. Surrey Downs is the perfect active adult community in Central New Jersey for today's 55+ homebuyers.
Surrey Downs Amenities
- Fitness Center
- Indoor Jacuzzi
- Catering Kitchen
- Card Room
- Outdoor Pool
- Outdoor Patio
- 2 Tennis Courts
- 2 Shuffleboard Courts
- Bocce Ball Court
- Community Transit
Surrey Downs Clubs, Groups, Activities & Classes
There are plenty of activities available in Surrey Downs. Here is a sample of some of the clubs, activities and classes offered here.
- Discussion Group
- Men's Club
- Ping Pong
- Social Club
- Travel Club
Single Family Homes
Price Range: Mid $100s - Mid $200s
There are a variety of models offered within the community on a resale basis that range in sizes from 760 to 1,383 square feet. All homes have one to two bedrooms and either one or two bathrooms. Most models have garages and some have lofts. The larger models even have two master bedrooms. Some other desirable features of the residences in Surrey Downs include formal dining rooms, Florida rooms, upgraded kitchens and appliance packages, thermal windows, patios, enclosed porches, decks, and storm doors. The monthly association fees include common area maintenance, community bus, pool, clubhouse, lawn care, landscaping for the front of the house, snow removal, garbage, and recycling. Residents are responsible for maintaining the exteriors of their homes, which keeps the maintenance fees lower than those of other condominium type communities. Please Note: Not all floor plans are available at this time.View Floorplans
Surrey Downs Reviews
- John R.|July 3, 2020This community has steadily gone downhill. I guess the old adage "you get what you pay for" holds true in this community.
- James A.|April 15, 2020After two years in the community and the way we were treated i would strongly tell people to stay away from this 55 & Older Community. Even my neighbors left the community.
- Rosetta L.|January 18, 2020We moved here Nov 2018 and my family and I love it... location is perfect close to food stores/ doctors/ hospital/ Walgreens for meds/ family etc. The people are friendly and down to earth. You can make friends immediately. The grounds are kept clean and neat. To us it’s paradise.
- Rosetta L.|September 26, 2019We moved in surrey downs November 2018, and we absolutely love it... location is the best, close to everything/ food stores/ restaurants/ doctors/ hospital/med store/ etc...The neighbors are friendly and down to earth, the grounds and pool area are very well maintained / security cameras entering the community and leaving......for us it is absolutely Paradise....
- Kathi |September 8, 2014Our first impression (on tour of S.D. with a real estate agent)was love at first sight but being realistic, perhaps actually living there is not as ideal as its presented to be??
Would love to hear other opinions or is that possible?
- Nancy G.(Resident/Homeowner)|July 15, 2014I have been a resident at Surrey Downs for 2 years now and have been very dissatisfied with the maintenance they charge every month, no matter how many times you call the office to complain that the job is not being done, (NO ONE) returns the call back, I find that everyone complains about the same things but nothing gets done, it would be nice to have everyone on the same page as a community, making Surrey Downs a nice place to be living at. Instead I see more people moving out than moving in.*=
The information on this page is aggregated from third-party sources and presented as-is for your convenience. It has not been verified or approved by the developer or homeowners association. 55places.com does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of information or assume any liability for its use. 55places.com is not affiliated with the builder, developer, or HOA of any communities displayed on this website.
55places.com is not affiliated with the developer(s) or homeowners association of Surrey Downs. The information you submit is distributed to a 55places.com Partner Agent, who is a licensed real estate agent. The information regarding Surrey Downs has not been verified or approved by the developer or homeowners association. Please verify all information prior to purchasing. 55places.com is not responsible for any errors regarding the information displayed on this website.