Archive: January 2010
- Baby Boomers know that green living is more than a current trend. Living in an eco-friendly home reduces your carbon footprint, helps sustain our natural resources, and saves money on your energy bills. Active adult community builders, such as Shea Homes, understand the desire for green living and provide eco-friendly communities that make energy efficiency and sustainable resources a top priority. Trilogy Communities by Shea Homes can be found in Arizona, California, Washington and Florida. These communities offer Shea Green Certified Homes which can provide up to 60 percent in annual energy savings and reduce your carbon footprint by up to 48 percent.
- North Carolina is quickly becoming a hot spot for relocating active adults. The area offers the diversity of mountains, foothills, and coastal areas. There are revitalized metro areas and picturesque rural towns. Plus, North Carolina’s warm weather and scenic vistas fit the bill for a beautiful southern retirement, without being too far from northern hometown family and friends. Many adults who previously retired to Florida or South Georgia are now choosing a second relocation to North Carolina. These retirees are sometimes referred to as “halfbacks” because they relocated further south and later moved halfway back home. Whether halfbacks or first-time retirees, many prospective residents find themselves choosing between communities near two popular North Carolina areas: Raleigh and Charlotte.
- Baby Boomers, born during the period between 1946 and 1964, are often depicted as a generation of activists. While any generation is a cross-sampling of many different personality types, coming of age during the free spirited 1960s, the radical 1970s, and the political 1980s, led many Baby Boomers to take an active interest in government, politics, and the world around them. These active adults are continuing to make a difference for many causes, in local and national politics, and in their community governance.
- Gorgeous mountain views, lush landscaping, and beautiful water features draw golfers to the courses found throughout Southern California. Though other activities are also popular, golf remains a central feature of many Southern California active adult communities, where championship courses provide beautiful scenery that often winds throughout a community. Golf enthusiasts who are looking for an active adult community in Southern California can choose from a variety of impressive locations. Many 55+ active adult communities offer both championship 18-hole golf and 9-hole leisure courses. As the central feature of these communities, golf courses are often designed by well-respected architects and impeccably maintained to provide both superior play and a spectacular setting. When considering Southern California's beautiful golf courses, these 6 active adult communities are well worth a second look:
- Have you ever come across a group of vivacious older women dressed in purple and sporting bright red hats? Have you gone out to lunch and noticed a table of older men laughing and swapping stories? If so, you may have spotted some Red Hats and Romeos. Active Adult Communities provide residents with a wide variety of recreational activities and social clubs. Two groups steadily gaining popularity among older adults are the Red Hat Society for women and, for men, the Romeo Club, a.k.a. Retired Old Men Eating Out.
- On January 1, 1960, Sun City Arizona began selling homes to active adults. This was the first planned retirement community in the country and it inspired a new trend in retirement housing. Adults today can now find beautiful communities throughout the country that offer an active lifestyle and meet their unique needs. Fifty years after its Grand Opening, Sun City Arizona is celebrating its success with anniversary festivities scheduled throughout 2010.
- Medical tourism, once an option for only the very wealthy, is gaining popularity as Americans find ways to get around the high costs of medical care. The term medical tourism generally refers to traveling internationally to receive healthcare services. Major metropolitan areas in countries around the world offer healthcare of comparable quality, yet the prices may be much less than they are in America. In the United States, millions are uninsured or underinsured. Anyone who is facing significant out of pocket costs (generally, over $15,000) for surgery or a medical or dental procedure might benefit from medical tourism.
- Each year, active adult communities continue to evolve to meet the changing needs and desires of both their current and potential residents. Active adults today know what they want and builders are structuring new communities to provide these features. The 5 top trends that have emerged in 2009 and should continue to rise in 2010 revolve around: Technology, Green Living, Walking Trails and Outdoor Space, Universal Design, and Lifelong Learning.