Gorgeous mountain views, lush landscaping, and beautiful water features draw golfers to the courses found throughout Southern California. Though other activities are also popular, golf remains a central feature of many Southern California active adult communities, where championship courses provide beautiful scenery that often winds throughout a community. Golf enthusiasts who are looking for an active adult community in Southern California can choose from a variety of impressive locations.
Many 55+ active adult communities offer both championship 18-hole golf and 9-hole leisure courses. As the central feature of these communities, golf courses are often designed by well-respected architects and impeccably maintained to provide both superior play and a spectacular setting. When considering Southern California’s beautiful golf courses, these 6 active adult communities are well worth a second look:
1. Sun Lakes Country Club -There are two private 18-hole golf courses in Sun Lakes Country Club, each providing golfers with breathtaking views of the beautiful San Bernardino and the San Jacinto Mountains. The 18-hole, 72-par championship Sun Lakes Course offers challenging play over 7,017-yards. While beginners and those wanting a shorter game can enjoy the 3,000-yard, par-60 Executive Course.
2. Laguna Woods Village -Laguna Woods Village, the largest 55+ active adult community on the West Coast, boasts two professional golf courses. Community residents and their guests can choose between the 27-hole championship course and an executive par-3 leisure course. A golf driving range, putting greens and a chipping area are included as part of the course.
3. Sun City Palm Desert – The Mountain Vista Golf Club, located at Sun City Palm Desert, offers two breathtaking 18-hole championship golf courses designed to accommodate golfers of all skill levels. Both the Santa Rosa and El Gorgonio golf courses were designed by Hall of Famer Billy Casper and Greg Nash. Each course features cascading waterfalls, exciting layouts, and spectacular views of the Santa Rosa, San Jacinto, and San Gorgonio mountain ranges.
4. Ocean Hills Country Club – Located in Oceanside, the Ocean Hills Country Club provides residents with an executive golf course that is included with the monthly homeowners dues. This 18-hole par-55 course is well suited to a variety of golfers, who can expect to find an ideal mix of challenging play and manageable yardage over the 2,138 yard course.
5. Sun City Apple Valley – Just 40 miles north of San Bernardino, the beautiful Sun City Apple Valley community is set apart by the towering San Gorgonio Mountains. The 27-hole, Ashwood Golf Club includes a par-65, 18-hole course that takes advantage of the wide open spaces and gorgeous views of California’s high desert. This lovely course is ideal for novices who seek a relaxing round of golf.
6. The Colony – Located in Murrieta, and nestled in the beautiful Temecula Valley, The Colony Country Club is also known as the California Oaks Golf Course. This 18-hole, par-65 course was designed by David A. Rainville. Spanning 4,681-yards, this course features sharp doglegs and challenging greens, and is equipped with three tees at each hole. The course is open to the public but residents of The Colony enjoy discounted green fees.
Southern California’s mild climate and spectacular views make it an ideal golf destination. Knowing this, many active adult communities offer beautifully designed championship courses that delight both beginning and experienced golfers, and make residents feel as if they are living at a world class resort.